Windows 7 Removing entry from Add/remove?

proteus459

I have removed a program from my Win 7 HP SP1 64-bit system but its entry still appears in both Win Add/Remove and Revo Uninstaller. I have tried the technique suggested by just about every Google search return for the problem (regedit: HKLM...current version >> uninstall) but the program does not appear in that list.

I have gone through the registry and removed every reference to the program I could find by expanding literally every branch in Current User, Local Machine and Users. The entry still remains.

The problem it creates is that is is being used as a default program selection for opening more than a few file types and I would like to be rid of it.

Any ideas?

Are you willing to give the name of the application?

How did you originally try to remove the program?

Have you checked Msconfig.exe to see if something is starting related to the program?

You can reset the file type associations yourself..

You may have to reinstall the program and try to uninstall again, possibly in safe mode.

If it doesn't appear in the Registry under Display name, it should not be in Programs and Features.

Some things like AV programs are difficult to remove completely. Most makers have a removal tool. Other programs you need to run the maker's uninstaller to get a good removal.
Joe

Are you willing to give the name of the application?

How did you originally try to remove the program?

Have you checked Msconfig.exe to see if something is starting related to the program?

You can reset the file type associations yourself..

You may have to reinstall the program and try to uninstall again, possibly in safe mode.

If it doesn't appear in the Registry under Display name, it should not be in Programs and Features.
The program was the SourceForge PDF Creator. I had originally uninstalled the program using Revo Uninstaller because it leaves less debris behind than Add/Remove (although my IT genius does not like my using it). The problem turned out to be some unapparent connection between the Revo Uninstaller and Windows Add/Remove. While in Revo I right-clicked the icon for PDF Creator and noticed a "Remove Entry" tool. When I clicked it, the PDF Creator entry disappeared from both Revo and Windows Add/Remove.

Thank you both for your replies and suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom