Windows 7 Repartition-SOLVED

toxickeys

I have been experimenting with another OS and running dual boot. I allocated too much space to windows and wish to decrease it. Can I still do this without losing data in my Window 7 OS? If so what tool should I use and how to go about it.

Thank you.

You can just use the built-in disk management, right click the partition and select shrink. If the other OS is already installed you'll need to boot to a live environment such as a Linux install usb/disc and use gparted to move the Linux partition to occupy the empty space.

Why not make a virtual machine (tools like VirtualBox/VMPlayer) Why do you need a dual boot? As for Windows 7 i will not recommend it to shirk your HDD. A safe way; backup your data (to cloud, nas, usbdrive etc) then perform a clean installation where you can select the HDD size. (20GB should be enough for windows 7 - ultimate)

Otherwise i have to agree to Neemobeer

Windows 7 32 bit is 16GB and 64 bit is 20GB you'd be out of space immediately not to account for data, applications and updates. Also shrinking a partition is perfectly safe.

Presently dual boot consists of Windows 7 / Linux Ubuntu. I want to ditch Ubuntu and replace it with Linux Mint and of course take some space from Windows giving it to Mint. What steps should I take. I will be using a usb stick to install Mint.

On second thought I am going to stay with Windows 7. Really like this OS out of all them. So what is the best way to wipe out Ubuntu and give that space to Windows?

Last edited:
  • Open disk management and right click on the Linux partition(s) and select 'delete volume'
  • Right click on your Windows partition and select 'extend volume' follow the prompt to extend the volume
  • IMPORTANT click on the start button and type 'cmd', right click on 'Command Prompt' and select 'Run as Administrator'. In the command prompt type bcdboot C:\Windows that should repair your boot sector since grub is no longer available

Neemobeer I have changed my mind again. Attached is an image from Disk Management taken today. I wish to keep Windows 7 at the same size. As shown there is a partition for 18 GB presently for Ubuntu 18.04 and another partition for 79 GB which is Free space. I wish to combine the two partitions of 18 GB and 79 GB making one and put Linux Mint Mate in that partition thereby eliminating Ubuntu 18.04.

Please explain how to do this step by step. Could I start with Disk Management and finish booting from a usb install of Linux Mint?

I don't know anything about grub never having used it. I would like to start this immediately after hearing your response.

Thank you and HNY

Right click each of the partitions and delete the partitions, boot the the Linux Mint installer and choose the Install along side Windows option it should guide you through the rest. Pretty simple.

Back
Top Bottom