Windows 7 Repartitioning, Understanding my Partitions

webmanoffesto

I have a laptop I’m using for an imaging tutorial that I’m doing. It’s a Lenovo Thinkpad L412. I would like to understand the present partitions before I repartition.

I have:​
C: “Windows7_OS” 122GB free of 221 GB​
E: “SYSTEM_DRV” 500mb free of 1.17GB​
Q: “Lenovo_Recovery” 2.01GB free of 9.76GB​

So​
Q: is the Lenovo Recovery partition.​
C: apparently has all the System / Windows files and all the data files
*Question: What is E: ?​

It has folders​
- INOV8LOG​
- MGGSTAT​
- preboot​
- Recovery​
- tvtos​
Which means it looks like a recovery partition, however “Q” is apparently the recovery partition.​

I would like one partition for System / Windows. And one partition for data.​
I guess I could shrink the “C” drive, then create “D” partition and move my data files to “D”.

Does that seem like a good plan?

Last edited:
Have you already burned your recovery disks from the recovery partition - and then created a second copy - if not you should do so asap - and certainly before you go deleting the recovery partition (which it is perfectly safe to do after burning recovery disks).

I created a Windows 7 Recovery disk. Can you be more specific about what you are recommending.

Have you already burned your recovery disks from the recovery partition - and then created a second copy - if not you should do so asap - and certainly before you go deleting the recovery partition (which it is perfectly safe to do after burning recovery disks).

Sorry for delay - just back from a week abroad. Not recommending anything earth shattering - having made the recovery disk(s) you've done the most important thing. It's just that as a life long geek I've become a committed believer in Sod's Law so that when you most desperately need you recovery disks you find a read error on it - so I always make a second copy.

Back