Repartitioning, Understanding my Partitions

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by webmanoffesto, Dec 8, 2010.

1. webmanoffesto

webmanoffesto New Member

I have a laptop I’m using for an imaging tutorial that I’m doing. It’s a Lenovo Thinkpad L412. I would like to understand the present partitions before I repartition.

I have:​
    C: “Windows7_OS” 122GB free of 221 GB​
    E: “SYSTEM_DRV” 500mb free of 1.17GB​
    Q: “Lenovo_Recovery” 2.01GB free of 9.76GB​

So ​
    Q: is the Lenovo Recovery partition.​
    C: apparently has all the System / Windows files and all the data files
    *Question: What is E: ?​

It has folders ​
    - INOV8LOG​
    - MGGSTAT​
    - preboot​
    - Recovery​
    - tvtos​
    Which means it looks like a recovery partition, however “Q” is apparently the recovery partition.​

I would like one partition for System / Windows. And one partition for data.​
    I guess I could shrink the “C” drive, then create “D” partition and move my data files to “D”.

Does that seem like a good plan?

#1 webmanoffesto, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  2. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Have you already burned your recovery disks from the recovery partition - and then created a second copy - if not you should do so asap - and certainly before you go deleting the recovery partition (which it is perfectly safe to do after burning recovery disks).

3. webmanoffesto

webmanoffesto New Member

I created a Windows 7 Recovery disk. Can you be more specific about what you are recommending.

4. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Sorry for delay - just back from a week abroad. Not recommending anything earth shattering - having made the recovery disk(s) you've done the most important thing. It's just that as a life long geek I've become a committed believer in Sod's Law so that when you most desperately need you recovery disks you find a read error on it - so I always make a second copy.