Windows 7 Replace Disk 1 with Disk 0 in Computer Management

SpiLoT

Its a bit complicated to state my situation, anyways, I have 2 HDD, and the PC won't boot if I removed the old HDD even though I've formatted the old HDD and win7 is on the new HDD.

I have 2 physical HDD in PC
(1) 80GB old hdd and noisy. (not SATA)
(2) 500GB SATA hdd and sexy.
My powersupply only supports 1 SATA connection, and I don't have a DVD-Rom.

-

I've unpluged the (2) and replaced it with my dad's SATA DVD-Rom to clean install Win7 64bit on the old (1), after I've finished, I removed the SATA DVD-Rom, I plugged back the (2), installed Win7 64bit ISO again from the (1) on (2), then I organized everything and split the (2) to E:\ and F:\.

Everything's fine until I wanted to remove the old noisy hdd. When I did that, the PC started to bitch on me and didn't want to boot from (2).

I've tried to rename (2)'s letter to C:\, but it gave me 'invalid parameter' error. I doubt that it'll work by itself since it'll need to rename all the softwares' locations and stuff...

so I went through another way, renaming (1) to a random letter like K:\ and wishing that'll work, I've restarted, shutdown'ed, and unplugged (1), didn't boot from (2). -.-'

So it left me with only and only solution is by clean install, -but- I can't do it since I don't have an old dvd-rom nor do I have 2 SATA PSU cables... so I go back to the begging and...know that I have only 1 option by installing the win, is by the iso.

-

Now, what I'm thinking is that there's a possible way(maybe?) that I can replace Disk 0 box by Disk 1 box...

Link Removed due to 404 Error

So that's it, notice the 2 boxes down there? I'd like to switch Disk 0 by Disk 1 and then remove the old crappy 80gb hdd.

Hope the topic makes sense.

Last edited:
You can get power plug converters to allow for more SATA power plugs.

The boot files are probably on the old drive. You might attach a snipping tool picture of your disk management window for us to know for sure, but you probably have to make the partition containing the Win 7 install active..

Now you have two options:

Disconnect the old drive (or set the new one to primary in the bios). Use the install DVD to do a startup repair on the new drive. Boot to the Install DVD, and on the second window, select Repair. Go to Startup Repair and run it 2 or 3 times to make the new drive bootable.

Or, since you have already made the new partition active, you can add the boot files to it by using the following command. You will need to know the partition of the new Win 7 install and use that drive letter if not C:

Open an administrative command prompt and type the following.

bcdboot C:\Windows /s C:

Hit enter and allow it to complete. Close the window and shutdown. Disconnect the old drive, and you should be able to reboot into the new Win 7.

Rather doing all this, you might just use the SATA power adapter plug or set up a flash drive to boot and load Win 7 from that.

Back
Top Bottom