Windows 10 Replacement Cycle

Joe S

Excellent Member
Does anybody think MS has missed the point that it's no longer necessary to replace the OS or computer every 3 years? Since Windows 7 hardware has got much better and improvements are smaller. Back in the 90's hardware changed so fast that a 3 year old machine was a real dog. Unless you are a gamer or other high end user a top of the line machine from 3 or 4 years ago is good enough for many people. Not to mention the rise of the smart phones. MS with their attempt to change the start menu and overall appearance doesn't please many users either.
Joe

After testing windows 10 build 10061...I looking forward to the new look of the OS....as 8 and 8.1 just sucks. Don't get me wrong, they're manageable but a PITA to use unless you use some 3rd party software to get the look and feel of windows 7. Which a lot of users do.

Yes...I do see your point with MS OS release cycle.....bottom line is...Money.

I stayed with Windows 7 I didn't see anything in Windows 8 that made me want to upgrade. I'm not so fond of Windows 10 so far. I've got 10074 on a VM. Until they get the bugs out I'm not going to try and dual boot. I've got Windows 7 Ultimate and you can create a VHD without partitioning and simply delete it when you are done. They've got a long way to go for a July RTM. The last I looked the shares for Windows 7 was around 59% XP 17% and Windows 8 at about 11% . It looks like they've got an uphill battle to get people to move to Windows 10.
Joe

Already, with only three posts, iy comes out as a matter of personal opinion and, possibly, experiences - good or bad.

For me, Windows 8.1 is the best and slickest OS they have produced to date. I did customise the modern start menu and find it more convenient than a text menu. But, having said that, I see that particular function as having been over emphasised and over discussed. A simple third party menu, of which there are many, sorted out that problem. Other than that, my 8.1 installations have now run for some years without any hitches.

As an OS only, Windows 10 is, on my old equipment, noticeably faster all round. The two major additions, Cortana and Edge, have no interest for me, in spite of over advertising and pushing from Microsoft. But, for the moment, apart from the overall improvement in speed of general operation, I have not found anything in Windows 10, which I cannot accomplish in Windows 8.1.
No comment, unfortunately , on Windows 7. I have not personally used it for some years and in my daily rounds, do not come , too often, in contact with anyone using it.

Last edited:
Didn't anybody watch the build conference? One of the major reasons why Microsoft is developing Windows 10 is so that it will work on a multi-platform level. This means when a developer designs an app it will work the same whether it's being used on a PC, phone or tablet.

My own statement "As an OS only, Windows 10 is, on my old equipment, noticeably faster all round."

I have to retract that. After posting, I wondered if, perhaps, it was an illusion.

I ran six different tasks in bot OSs, dual booting on the same computer. The compared results showed the same figures with one exception, Opening Gpedit, was faster in Windows 10. That could be due to Gpedit being incomplete in Windows 10. Possibly, if you use a program which could measure down to microseconds, you might discern some bigger differences either way.

I've just switched back to Windows 10 after realising the the Windows debugger does work after all and it does feel like apps open a whole lot quicker with 10. Mind you I often wonder if this is simply seeing the os before any major apps are installed like office.. I mean they are all pretty nippy then.. :)

I am still using Windows 7 as my main OS and I intend on doing so for as longs as I can. Support for W7 runs for another 5 years until 2020, which is a long time yet.
I was using Windows XP until MS dropped support for that last year. I see no reason to upgrade to Windows 10 at the moment.

If the system doesn't need the internet or talks to phones or DLNA storage then Windows 7 should be ok until 2020... I still use it as a backdoor into my home server but I cann't see Microsoft pushing the dates back again because backwards support gets $ sorry.

Does anybody think MS has missed the point that it's no longer necessary to replace the OS or computer every 3 years? Since Windows 7 hardware has got much better and improvements are smaller.
They want to make money and they don't care. They will turn your computer into a garbage can if they can so that you upgrade. The only thing stopping them is their shareholders and government regulations.

Stop thinking multi-national corporations run by billionaires are your "friend" that wants to "help you manage you data" and you'll be better off, living in the real world.

Back
Top Bottom