Windows 7 Requesting advice for CPU Cooler

unclezhuge

Hello,

I recently posted in the BSOD section of this forum and after several testing, the people over there suggested me to get a new and better CPU Cooler.

http://windows7forums.com/blue-screen-death-bsod/90273-bsod-maybe-due-low-ram-3.html#post287535

This is how my com looks like:
Inside my PC - Imgur

This is the CPU-Z thing that I did.
all slots.jpg

I will try to get any other info if you guys need to know more about computer.

Thanks a lot for in advance.

EDIT: Also, they suggested me to get a new CPU as well. Any recommendations for that?

I think they are fishing. There's no reason to replace the cooler unless the original cooler fan fails. OEM coolers are more than capable of providing adequate cooling for the CPU they come with - even with mild to moderate overclocking. It is the case's responsibility to provide an adequate supply of cool air to the case interior. The CPU cooler need only toss the CPU's heat into the case's cool air flow. If you not overclocking, you have proper layer of TIM (thermal interface material) applied between the CPU and heatsink, and the HSF assembly is properly mounted and your CPU is still running too hot, you need to add more case cooling, not a different CPU cooler (assuming the CPU is not faulty).

Excessive CPU heat does NOT cause BSODs.

What are your temps?

Remember, benchmark programs like Prime95 are NOT realistic tests of real-world situations. They purposely tax systems to the extreme and you ran Prime95 for 2 hours! If your CPU cooler was inadequate, no way would it have kept your CPU cool (and stable) during that torture test.

I agree completely with usasma - you need to look at case cooling, not CPU cooling.

One other thing - how old is your CPU? You may not be aware, and for many enthusiasts it is not a concern, but it is important all readers understand that both Intel and AMD warranty their “retail” boxed versions of their CPUs that come with supplied heatsink fan assemblies as “a unit". Consequently, both Intel and AMD require the use of the supplied coolers with their CPUs and using any alternative cooling solution violates the terms of the CPU warranties. Note this IS stated in the CPU warranty booklets that come with each CPU, or can be viewed online at Intel and AMD.

AMD makes it crystal clear in their warranty:
"This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith."

Again, many folks don't care about their CPU warranties, or if your CPU is more than 3 years old, the point is moot. But this warranty information is important to know and understand before replacing (or recommending the replacement of) the CPU cooler.

Hm, I am now rather confused. My current temps are rather high (currently like 70 to 80), but I don't know what it is due to.

These are my HWInfo:

http://windows7forums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22819&d=1363944646
Include the Idle and High Load (gaming) data. This was done before the Prime95 test and the cleaning of my fans.

http://windows7forums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22919&d=1365306131
This has the Prime95 test. I then cleaned up my fans, then tested the temps with high load (gaming). The weird thing is, the results after cleaning were actually higher than before the cleaning. I checked that I connected everything properly (all the fans were spinning)

I don't think I am overclocking, but I am not so sure. What info do you need from me to tell whether my com is overclocking or not?

I bought all the different parts in 2009, so the three year warranty has been up.

Thanks for the help.

Overclocking does not just happen. It is something you, as the user, would have set consciously. So if you don't remember changing your clock speeds, you are not overclocking.

If heat were a problem, your computer would be very unstable - with frequent shutdowns and reboots.

I recommend real-time temperature monitoring. Your motherboard utilities disk should have a monitoring program (or check for a more recent version on your motherboard or PC maker's website). Alternatively, I use and recommend CoreTemp for newer Intel and AMD64 CPUs.

Prime95 is NOT a good program to assess PC health. It's purpose is to push a computer to the extremes. If your computer is not crashing when Prime95 is taxing your system, your system passed.

The question I have now is, what's the problem? Is your computer still crashing?

Ok I will try to use the program that you recommend. I will try to report some data from the program that you recommend.

The issues before I came here were that the PC BSOD, hangs, or hangs during the BSOD. All these issues happen during gaming, when I am doing my MSWord work, or just viewing Youtube videos. Sometimes it hangs 5-10 minutes after starting up, sometimes it hangs after 5-6 hours.

I haven't really used my computer after all that cleaning of the fans. Because I was afraid that all that high temp from the HWInfo will further spoil my computer if I continued to use it. I will try to use my computer again and see whether are there any issues again.

There are many heat sensitive devices inside a computer and most do not have temperature sensors to monitor their health. Sudden crashes can be caused by heat, but other common causes are (1) failing PSU, (2) failing RAM, (3) failing motherboard, (4) failing graphics, (5) corrupt drivers.

When troubleshooting potential hardware problems, I always start at the wall. Do I have good grounding? Is it plugged in? Turned on? Is my PSU providing proper voltages? Assuming my wall outlet is still (I tested it) properly wired and grounded), I swap in a known good PSU to make sure the current PSU is working properly.

Speccy from the makers of CCleaner is also a good program, though it does not have a system tray icon. It includes a great option to "publish" your system specs (less any personal information) and provides a convenient link to post to forums for easy review.

Blasting a desk fan into the open side panel might reveal if this is heat related, or not.

Ok, I used the CoreTemp program that you gave me. The temperatures seem abnormally high. I experienced 70+ during idle, 90+ during gaming. (Degrees celcius)

View attachment CT-Log 2013-04-07 23-30-53 (Gaming).zip

I still think my temp is way beyond normal.

I have tested Mem86+, it passed fine for both memory sticks. I have used the Seatools as well, nothing comes up abnormal.

I will try the 'wall' suggestion you given me. I also provided the specs with the program that you requested. (I think by now I have installed like 10+ programs. =_=)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/jOhyAAlYcxg6SashOT6f3Lo

I am having an urge to just reformat my entire com now, lol.

EDIT: By the way, when I am gaming, I am also experiencing some "choppy" experience. It is like the game isn't as smooth as before I did the Prime95 test. Could it be possible that the Prime95 has ruined something?

Last edited:
Your temps are rather high, but as Digerati says, that would not produce a BSOD - it would shut off the system to protect itself. AMD CPUs can run rather hot if stressed because they run with relatively high Wattage.

What is the exact model of your CPU. Maybe we can find you a better cooler.

Hm ok I see. I will try to investigate what are the other possible causes of the BSOD.

I have the original packaging of the CPU. It has some other info on it, I am not so sure whether is what you required:

Intel (R) Core (TM) i5 Processor
Product Code: BX80605I5750
Socket: LGA 1156
MM #: 903877
S-Spec: SLBLC
Ver #: E73051-001

Or do you need me to examine the CPU directly?

Yeah, those temps are too high and that is something that needs to be addressed. Speccy is telling you your system temp is 68°C - that's too high too - considerably warmer than your drive and graphics card. With both system (normally - but not always - the chipset northbridge) and CPU temps running too high, you need to look at your case cooling. An overheated chipset can surely cause stability problems, and system shutdowns too.

Are there any case fans in front drawing cool air in? Does the side panel fan push air into the case, or pull it out. Also, Generally you want a good front to back air flow through the case. I have seen temps go up when side fans are used as they introduce turbulence and disrupt the desired flow. Side panel fans that blow into a duct or tube that directs the air directly onto the CPU fan (or sometimes, graphics card) are less disruptive, other than a tube in the way. So I might suggest you try it with and without the side panel fan, or see if you can move it to the front, if none there already.

Also, other than for quick inspections, it better to run the computer with the side panel on, rather than off - unless blasting a desk fan in there. There is no "flow" when the panel is removed so there can be pockets of hot, stagnant air - not good.
Is there a nice, thorough but super thin layer of TIM under the heatsink? TIM that has never been reused?

Hm ok I see. I will try to investigate what are the other possible causes of the BSOD.

I have the original packaging of the CPU. It has some other info on it, I am not so sure whether is what you required:

Or do you need me to examine the CPU directly?
If you have the room in your box, this is a really very efficient cooler. But it is big.

SilverStone Heligon HE01 CPU Cooler with 140mm fan for Intel socket LGA 775 / 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / 2011, AMD socket AM2 / AM3 / FM1 / FM2. Copper base heatpipe and Aluminum fins - Newegg.com

Back