Windows 10 Resetting Problem..

Emilie

So I am having a panic attack right now. I tried resetting windows 10 just because of some problems, but I made a mistake.
It was stuck resetting at 49%, and so I thought that powering the computer off and turning it back on would help. Instead, what happened was that it gave me the message "An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system."

PLEASE HELP.. I need this computer for work.

Does your pc still have a recovery partition and can you boot to it?

I have tried doing what some people say to do, like pressing f8 or ctrl+f11, but it doesn't work with my computer. My computer is a Dell Inspiron 15z. I do have a thing called boot options, but I don't see anything about a recovery partition on there.

Those are all BIOS options to change the boot device. You don't want to change the boot device, you need to boot from your hard drive but from a different partition, the recovery partition. The usual way to do that on dell is to keep pressing F8 during startup until the options show. You normally need to eneter the advanced options to run a full recovery.

If the system came with Windows 8 installed, in the boot options, look for a Windows Boot Manger. As Pat mentions, if you have been put in the Recovery process you may see more options. If you are not in the Recovery options, in some cases, booting 3 times or more unsuccessfully will do that. But your situation is a little different from most problems.

When you reset the system, how exactly did you do that? There is a "Go Back to" option in Settings, Update and Security, Recovery you could have used. Or did you use some other option?

Saltgrass- i couldnt find a boot manager, and when I reset the computer, I just used the "refresh" thing that deleted your files but didn't fully clean the hard drive.

I suspect the partitions have been damaged. Try downloading a gparted iso, create a boot disk and boot from it to try a repair. It is unlikely to repair the boot partition which you interrupted but it may enable you to access the recovery partition.

Since you were doing a Reset, the system was probably not set up to continue if interrupted. It might be a good idea to obtain a copy of the .iso file so you can boot to the Windows 10 media for a repair. The Media Creation tool should allow you to do that from another system.

You never mentioned why you felt it necessary to Reset Windows 10, but there are some configurations which seem to have problems with Windows 10.

But it is hard to say what might be needed. The F8 options have not really worked well since Windows 8 was introduced.

I would suggest you get the .iso. Trying to download that large file by setting up a Flash Drive takes a very long time. If you have the .iso, you can create a Flash Drive or DVD. I normally use the Flash Drive for install media.

Just make sure you get the correct one for your system...

Back