Windows 7 Resetting Windows Password

Mike

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter

This new instructional video has been posted. Enjoy :)

Hello everyone,

Recently we have been hit by some spam in our blogs and on the site in general about commercial software to reset Windows passwords. This is clearly spam and always plugs some product to magically reset your Windows password. I'd like everyone to know that these advertisers have been removed from the site for abusing our system. There is a very simple, and concise way to reset lost Windows passwords which is documented several times on this site.

Using this free product:

Offline NT Password & Registry Editor

Unsolicited advertising violates our terms of service agreement and is misleading to our members. The truth is, with the right CD image, anyone can properly reset a Windows password easily and effectively, without any costs associated with it.

It simply requires reading the documentation of the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor utility created in open source. We confirm this utility works in Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7.

Any commercial product advertisements trying to get you to pay to reset your own Windows password is inherently spam.

Regards,
Mike

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Recently we have been hit by some spam in our blogs and on the site in general about commercial software to reset Windows passwords. This is clearly spam and always plugs some product to magically reset your Windows password. I'd like everyone to know that these advertisers have been removed from the site for abusing our system. There is a very simple, and concise way to reset lost Windows passwords which is documented several times on this site.

Using this free product:

Unsolicited advertising violates our terms of service agreement and is misleading to our members. The truth is, with the right CD image, anyone can properly reset a Windows password easily and effectively, without any costs associated with it.

It simply requires reading the documentation of the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor utility created in open source. We confirm this utility works in Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7.

Any commercial product advertisements trying to get you to pay to reset your own Windows password is inherently spam.

Regards,
Mike

How do we know THIS isn't spam?

Having a bit of a problem here. I used the Offline NT registry editor at Offline NT Password & Registry Editor to elevate a normal user account to admin, and now I cannot change it from admin to normal user.
I inputted the following cmds in command line:
net localgroup administrators CompAdmin /delete
And I got sys error 1377 that says CompAdmin is not a member of the group. Then I input net localgroup administrators CompAdmin /add and it says the account is already a member of the group..what can I do? I cannot reinstall my OS or recreate another account..

Why can't you login as administrator, add the user to the group, and then remove them from the group to flush out the issue? I'm smelling a copy of Win7 Home?

I used to have to fiddle fart around with elevated permissions on XP and I know an admin can demote themselves, it's just best to make that your last step before you logoff. Under Win7 .. dunno?

Good luck!

Having a bit of a problem here. I used the Offline NT registry editor at Offline NT Password & Registry Editor to elevate a normal user account to admin, and now I cannot change it from admin to normal user.
I inputted the following cmds in command line:
net localgroup administrators CompAdmin /delete
And I got sys error 1377 that says CompAdmin is not a member of the group. Then I input net localgroup administrators CompAdmin /add and it says the account is already a member of the group..what can I do? I cannot reinstall my OS or recreate another account..

Hello Richard, Welcome to Windows 7 Forums :)
Please start a new thread under Windows 7 Support for help regarding this issue, this thread is simply a warning for users to be on the lookout for this particular type of spam on the forum.

Thanks! :)

as freeware you can also try Ophcrack, it's highly recommend..

this blog 6 ways to reset password: Link Removed - Invalid URL

Nice surprise about this shorter form. Can you tell us what it is you are talking/writing about?
Has any info. about this shorter form been posted before (and i just missed it)?

This new instructional video has been posted. Enjoy :)

Hello everyone,

Using this free product:

Regards,
Mike

I don't know about you, but whenever a friend has lost/forgotten his windows login password I have always boot up in safe mode & disable user password & reboot. Works in all versions of windows except windows 8 because I wouldn't touch that even with glove's on.

There are only two Microsoft-approved ways to reset a Windows password and I talk about both of them at the bottom of this page. However, there are a number of reasons why one or the other method very often isn't an option.

Luckily, there is an "unapproved" but perfectly safe, and very effective, way to reset passwords for Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows Vista.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/passwords/f/reset-windows-password.htm
http://www.pcworld.com/article/249181/how_to_reset_your_windows_password.html

I just had this problem yesterday and took me till today to figure out how to gain admin privileges back. I don`t know when the problem started. I was fixing network communication between my 3 PCs at home and I noticed that I can`t open an elevated command prompt, I can`t boot in safe mode, system restore doesn`t open up and I can`t even restore from image as I don`t have any privileges to make changes to my PC. I`ve also tried resetting password but nothing worked because I can`t do anything on my PC.
Fortunately I am running on cloned SSD. I just re-cloned the original installation after long hours of figuring out the solution. My main PC is now back up.

Why can't you login as administrator, add the user to the group, and then remove them from the group to flush out the issue? I'm smelling a copy of Win7 Home?

I used to have to fiddle fart around with elevated permissions on XP and I know an admin can demote themselves, it's just best to make that your last step before you logoff. Under Win7 .. dunno?

Good luck!
Thanks.

Please experts any one having a simple way of resetting password help me because I can't access my window 7 laptop.

Sent from my GT540 using WindowsForum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom