Windows 7 restart doesn't restart

conehed

Running an old but reliable HP dc7100.
Installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit. Runs fine, no hardware issues at all except needed to install a graphics card to get Aero effects to work & had to change the sound drivers to get the sound working.
However since the original install the restart option doesn't work. When restart is selected either by me in the start menu or when installing updates the computer shuts down ok, the lights on the front of the machine come back on as if it's trying to restart but nothing happens. I have to turn the power off & back on to get it to reboot.
At first I didn't mind this but now it's starting to annoy me!
Any help would be appreciated.

Here is a link to the specs;
Link Removed due to 404 Error

It's the small form factor/SFF model

Thanks in advance.
Cone

i have the same problem with my hp dc7700...it wont restart. This was not a problem when XP was on that machine..
what i dont understand is how is that different from manualy shutting down and powering it back up witch works fine btw...

Last edited:
I've allready tried that..

I don't know what i could change about it, i did some things but didn't worked at all...

its not that i doesnt restart, it does...until it has to load windows. it does POST but after that it seems like it cant find boot record or partition and sometimes restarts again and again, somtimes just does nothing.

Has everyone checked for updated video drivers? Maybe even chipset drivers?

Any chance some recovery option of the HPs is causing a problem? Maybe HP would know.

I've checked them out.
Video drivers are the latest. I don't see the purpose of chipset drivers. But I just recently composed my PC like 1 months ago.
But I'll check them out if it would help...

I have the same problem and I'm using a brand new toshiba laptop. when I'm running on batteries it wouln't not restart. but once I hooked it back on AC it's working ok. it's also odd that after I restart it while on battery and it doesn't turn back on, as soon as I plug it on AC it would power up instantly.

Ok, I went back to the store where I bought it they've returned me an new one. Problem solved.
In other words Hardware failure. Get a new one. No other solution was possible.

Greetz W00D*

Back