Windows 7 Restore cannot find the image

blockie

When I attempt to restore an image backup the wizard cannot find it. The wizard insists on looking in the network. I can easily find the image using Windows Explorer. Why can't the wizard find the image? It is on a second HHD that is installed, internally, on my computer.

Hi

When I went to control panel and selected "Back Up and Restore" I got a menu that let me browse for backup files or folders. I found a back up of Drive C: that I created when I first set up my computer that I didn't even remember I had. LOL

I use Norton Ghost for this, mostly because I always have, and I always back them up on an external drive but the Windows back up was on my second internal hard drive D:.

Mike

Last edited:
Are you using Win 7 Backup and Restore?

Does the Restore option even see the second Hard drive? And the Second Hard Drive is a physically different drive?

Have you changed the name of the backup folder or moved it?

Hi

Yes I'm using Windows 7 64.

And I see your problem, while I can open drive D: from the Backup and Restore window in control panel it will not let me select the Windows Restore file that I have stored on that drive.

The restore is in a folder names **ING101837, but that folder is not visible when I look for in the Restore Utility. It does show something called Microsoft Windows Backup and under that a folder called Backup of C: which has a lot of folders but no Windows Folder.

The folder I can see on D: has a lot of .ZIP files which are the contents of the drive.
But I don't see any way to initiate a complete restoration. It will let me select that restore selected files.

Nor can I start the restore from the file by going to it in Explorer.

Have you created a Windows Restore Disk.
I do remember that when I created this restore point I went to the point of restoring it from the Windows bootable restore disk and it did find it.

I don't know why this has to be so complicated, I guess that's why I use Norton Ghost.
I've used it for many years and it has always worked when it had to.

I'm thinking now that you can only access the restore file from the bootable disk.

I wish they would ask regular people how the interface should work.
What's wrong with a simple, "Click here to restore your C: drive".
"Select your restore point from this list and click on Go!"

Mike

If you are restoring from the control panel, check the attachments. You should come to the first attachment page, which will require a reboot.

If restoring from a bootable Install DVD or Repair CD, it should take you a window where you can choose the backup. The backup may need to be in the root directory, or not in a folder other than the original one, but not sure about that.

Back
Top Bottom