Robocopy / view backed up files on external drive

Started using robocopy to do my backups. In my command lines, i can specify directories on a external drive to backup to.Some directories show up and i see everything. My most important directory " my documents" DOESNT SHOW UP. I have confirmed a backup is occuring, via log file and properties on the backup folder. I edited it down to a backup of only that folder. Log file shows good, external drive shows the "backup" root directory and properties ( size, number of files) match log file. Open up the backup folder, NOTHING LISTED. I have to run the script as adminstrator , my user is admin also, but if i run it as myself, it cant access the folder. I think im dealing with a rights issue, i have edited security on the external drive, even reformatted it , still nothing shows up:-#

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
Hi, I know the following page isn't exactly what your after but just check the vista solution. It may offer you another way to do things? How To Move My Documents Folder To A Different Drive

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
I had a situation the other day where I could not see the files in a folder on my primary drive when I looked for them through Documents. I could see them if I went to the Users folders directly.

It seems changing the way the files were shown, large icon, small, details, etc. corrected the situation and I could see them from the Documents folder also.

If that has no effect, you might try starting Windows Explorer is Admin mode to see if it makes a difference.

Veegertx

Extraordinary Member
Perhaps if you don't copy the attributes just data and timestamp
cd /d %~dp0
robocopy %userprofile%\Documents /MIR %~dp0\Documents /E /COPY:DT /PURGE /R:1 /W:5
thats COPY colon DT can't get this to go advanced with maxthon

Last edited:
Perhaps if you don't copy the attributes just data and timestamp
cd /d %~dp0
robocopy %userprofile%\Documents /MIR %~dp0\Documents /E /COPY:DT /PURGE /R:1 /W:5
thats COPY colon DT can't get this to go advanced with maxthon
good idea, same results

Veegertx

Extraordinary Member
works for me but I run with UAC off

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.