Router help, please?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Hardware' started by HotVulpix, Jun 17, 2011.

1. HotVulpix

HotVulpix New Member

I am using my Samsung Gravity T for internet so I'm trying to connect it to the router that I have:

D-Link RangeBooster G Router = My exact model, but I have no software CD so need to install it some other way. When I plug it in via an Ethernet cable, it says "Unidentified Network | No network access, Public network." It won't let me click on Public network, too, to change it to a home or work network.

I am running on (Acer Aspire 7736) Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit. All I have is the router, ethernet cable, my phone's connection (which appears like a dial-up connection but with 3G speeds) and the laptop.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-16-CC-F2-54
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::682a:381b:d354:b7bf%10(Preferred)
    Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.183.191(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 167780118
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-E1-E9-12-00-26-2D-5A-10-D4

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

So how can I set up this router without the installation disc? And also, please don't say go to the IP address/default gateway or whatever in a browser, that does not work. :(

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

Go to D-links web site and download the software from there.

3. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

According to this Windows 7 Compatibility for D-Link WBR-2310 RangeBooster G Wireless Router: D-Link. Drivers, Updates, Downloads
    the router is compatible with both 32 and 64 bit Windows 7 Versions and "installs automatically without additional software".
    My guess is that the issue is with your Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet adapter and I would suggest that you first check that manufacturer's website for the latest driver for that device.
    Additionally you are not receiving DHCP information from your router you are getting an APIPA address with no default gateway, which would indicate that the adapter is not able to successfully communicate with the router to solicit a proper DHCP addressing scheme.
    You may want to try dumbing down the card a bit by manually setting the speed and duplex and see if that will help.
    Type
    ncpa.cpl
    into the search or run dialog box and hit enter.
    Select then right click the adapter and choose properties.
    Click the "Configure" Button
    and select the Advanced tab
    Look in the left column for something called
    Speed and Duplex
    and in the right column select the drop down arrow and choose 10Mbps/HalfDuplex
    OK your way back out of there and reboot the computer.
    If that seems to have helped the situation then experiment with additional changes
    100Mbps/HalfDuplex
    If that works try 100Mbps/FullDuplex.
    Keep us posted.

#3 Trouble, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011