Running an old 16-bit program under Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Software' started by Fran, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Fran

Fran New Member

Hi all, I have an ancient copy of Foxpro for Windows 2.6 from the early 1990s that I've moved from PC to PC over the years. I don't reinstall from original disks; I just copy the program's directory into \program files\ and it's worked fine on systems up to and including XP3. I did need to install a patch file at one point a few years ago which I think was designed to allow it as a 16-bit program to run on 32-bit systems.

Having just bought a Windows 7 laptop, I copied the Foxpro directory into \Program Files (x86)\. When I try to run it, though, I get an error that says the version of the program is not compatible with the version of Windows I'm running, and to check and see if I need a 32-bit or 64-bit version of it.

Any suggestions on what would be the least painful way to be able to keep using this program? I went into the properties dialog for the executable and tried checking the box for compatibility with earlier versions of Windows, but that didn't help. I wouldn't mind upgrading to a newer program, but I'm not sure what out there might provide the functionality that I've used with this version of Foxpro, and was hoping to avoid a lot of searching around or possible expense to find a newer, similar program. Thanks for any ideas.

2. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Two possibilities come to mind:

1. If you have Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate you could try running Windows XP mode.

2. Try installing DosBox ( http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1 ) and maybe running Windows 3.11 in it? (I know! but think it should work in theory).

#2 patcooke, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  3. Fran

Fran New Member

Thanks, interesting ideas. Unfortunately the Windows 7 version of the new laptop is Home Premium.

I did download and install DosBox. Does it have built-in capability to emulate Windows 3.11, or would I have to hunt up a disk and install that too? I didn't see anything about such emulation in its readme file. It wouldn't run the Foxpro executable (which was written for Windows) under DOS.

4. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP

You'd need to track down a copy. The one I have is about a 5mb exe.

5. Fran

Fran New Member

Thanks. After checking out various alternatives I decided to bite the bullet and buy the online upgrade to Win 7 Professional so I could download Windows XP Mode. My old Foxpro now works fine running XP virtually.

6. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP

Sounds sensible - but your days on FoxPro are still numbered - you need to be looking for a replace soon I think ;)