Windows 7 Sad news for VLC fans worldwide.

john3347

Extraordinary Member
Premium Supporter
VideoLAN acquired by RealNetworks

This is some sad news for thousands of VLC users who have moved from Real Player to the superior performance of VLC Player. (This $30 fee that they are going to slip in here is kinda like our garbage service that has started an area wide recycling service. They want us to sort and separate all our recycleables so all the garbage service has to do is sell them to recyclers - - - and they want to charge us $5.00/mo for us doing this work for them. Real Networks wants to screw up a working and free player and charge us $30 for doing so.) :mad:

2010-04-01
VideoLAN is proud to announce that it has been acquired by RealNetworks, the world's premiere provider of Internet media delivery tools. RealNetworks will be working with VideoLAN over the next few months to leverage the powerful Real toolset to improve VLC media player and other VideoLAN software. Accordingly, with the introduction of Real's superior solutions, we will be dropping all other encoders from the streaming component of VLC media player. Additionally, to better serve our customers, we will be introducing a new VLC media player Pro application, with cutting edge streaming capabilities and the ability to play back and edit all Real video and audio formats. This new application will be available for the low low price of $30/€30. We hope you enjoy the new VLC media player!

VideoLAN, Free streaming and multimedia solutions for all OS!

man I always liked VLC now they have to sell it to real and ofourse real is going to charge you to use it or give you a really crappy limited version for free

oh lord lol just checked there website this was a april fools joke real networks has not acquired Videolan

VLC is great, I use it + GOM, KM, WMP. : )

Edit:

Version 1.0.5 now.

(they report 4.5 downloads a sec)

vlc-win32.jpg

Last edited:
WHEW !!!! That was quite a scare.

Skeered me, I had no idea this was a joke.

"April Fools: VideoLAN acquired by RealNetworks

2010-04-01
April Fools' !
VideoLAN is proud to announce that it has been acquired by RealNetworks, the world's premiere provider of Internet media delivery tools. RealNetworks will be working with VideoLAN over the next few months to leverage the powerful Real toolset to improve VLC media player and other VideoLAN software. Accordingly, with the introduction of Real's superior solutions, we will be dropping all other encoders from the streaming component of VLC media player. Additionally, to better serve our customers, we will be introducing a new VLC media player Pro application, with cutting edge streaming capabilities and the ability to play back and edit all Real video and audio formats. This new application will be available for the low low price of $30/€30. We hope you enjoy the new VLC media player!
April Fools' !"

VideoLAN, Free streaming and multimedia solutions for all OS!

Back