Windows 7 Saltgrass suggested I post here for this bsod help

geno368

Extraordinary Member
I am working on a Dell Inspiron 2205 all in one touch screen running Win 7 home premium 64 bit with 4 gb ram and 500 gb hd.
The original problem was lock ups on an irregular basis. Of course I eliminated virus and malware infection. I ran several diagnostic programs including memtest and PCcheck on the MB, processors and hd...all passed with consistancy. The hd showed no errors or bad sectors. However I don't understand that you can just be surfing for an hour or so and it just freezes and the bsod error is:
unmountable boot volume error code: ox000000ed(oxfffffa8004c3e060, 0xffffffffc0000006)
Last week, I finally completely re-formatted(not repaired) my hd and re-installed Win 7. It operated fine for a couple of days and then crashed again. I set the os not to auto boot on crash. It is running fine right now, but I soon expect it to crash again.
I would appreciate any suggestions...​

• I have downloaded and ran/compressed the files suggested and are attached

Attachments

• Seven Forums.zip
    377.8 KB · Views: 490
Hi geno368, I've been watching your other thread with interest!

Saltgrass suggested I post here for this bsod help
Salty passing the buck. Eh? :D :D :D

No bluescreen files in your zip of which you'll be aware. But a couple of suggestions for you. (Note some of these will be bsod canned speeches!)

AVG is known to be a cause of BSOD's on Windows 7 systems. Suggest that you uninstall it. Download the correct AVG Remover for your system (32 or 64 bit).
If you have AVG ID protection installed, download the AVGID Protection Remover from the above link as well (it wouldn't hurt to download and run it anyway). Download BSOD friendly Link Removed due to 404 Error as AVG's replacement.
Uninstall AVG through the Control Panel. Re-boot to Safe Mode and run the AVG Removal tool(s). Re-boot to normal mode and install MSE. Make sure your Windows firewall is enabled! After your blue screens have been resolved, feel free to re-try AVG.

To Enable Minidumps:

1. Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
  2. Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery > Settings... button.
  3. Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
  4. Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
  5. Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
  6. OK your way out.
  7. Reboot if changes have been made.
The *.dmp files are located at C:\Windows\Minidump. Until a *.dmp file is generated, the Minidump folder may not exist.
GoTo your C:\Windows\Minidump folder. Copy the *.dmp files to a new folder on your desktop. Zip up the *.dmp files from that folder and attach to a post.

Your Bios is quite old? There may be updates available to address your problem.

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Description: BIOS Date: 09/23/09 11:58:43 Ver: 08.00.10
Version: DELL - 1072009
InstallDate:

The Graphics on my PC are v8.92. Yours are v8.84. A different card but worth checking to see if updates are available from AMD Graphics Drivers

HTH.

Thanks for your help. I have an appointment this morning, but I will check on the graphics drive update and change to security essentials. I am a little scared to do a bios flash as it can be dangerous sometime, don't you agree?
Also, do you think security essentials is as good protection as AVG or Avast?

I am a little scared to do a bios flash as it can be dangerous sometime, don't you agree?

It can be, but its a lot easier nowadays than it used to be. Jeez! If I can do it, with a bit of hand holding, anybody can. A few fellas (sexist) on here can help to walk you through it.

First, discover if there is a bios update and then we'll prep you through it.

I went through your Event Viewer log and got some of the error listings. It is hard for me to tell if one error is related to another, but possibly. There are many entries of the listed errors, so they seem to be consistent.

If you are running the AMD overdrive, you might check the web for postings on BSODs with it. The reference I give in the text may show a way to get rid of some of the errors.

I would strongly suggest you run a System File Check.

PHP:
vent[1727]:
  Log Name: System
  Source: atapi
  Date: 2012-01-05T01:21:15.627
  Event ID: 11
  Task: N/A
  Level: Error
  Opcode: N/A
  Keyword: Classic
  User: N/A
  User Name: N/A
  Computer: Owner-PC
  Description: 
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

ervice Name:  AODDriver4.0
Service File Name:  C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Fuel\amd64\AODDriver2.sys
Service Type:  kernel mode driver
Service Start Type:  demand start
Service Account:  

Event[535]:
  Source: Service Control Manager
  Date: 2012-01-04T20:06:45.734
  Event ID: 7000
  Description: 
The AODDriver4.0 service failed to start due to the following error: 
The system cannot find the path specified.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=149076

Event[1730]:
  Source: atapi
  Date: 2012-01-05T01:22:06.234
  Event ID: 11
  Description: 
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Event[1736]:
  Source: volsnap
  Date: 2012-01-05T01:23:11.738
  Event ID: 14
  Description: 
The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C:.

Event[1740]:
  Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-General
  Date: 2012-01-05T01:23:46.417
  Event ID: 6
  Opcode: Info
  Keyword: N/A
  User: S-1-5-18
  User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
  Description: 
An I/O operation initiated by the Registry failed unrecoverably.The Registry could not flush hive (file): ''.

Event[1749]:
  Date: 2012-01-05T01:25:10.267
  Event ID: 7009
  Description: 
A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Volume Shadow Copy service to connect.

Event[1750]:
  Date: 2012-01-05T01:25:10.267
  Event ID: 7000
  Description: 
The Volume Shadow Copy service failed to start due to the following error:

Edit: It also appears for the msinfo32 readout under Problem Device that an ACPI component does not have a driver. You might check on that.

Last edited:
Thanks again to you both for your help;
I have un-installed avg and have run sfc and it shows ok....I did rum the latest video update from dell and according to my bios it shows ver a07 dated 07/2011.
The system has run great for 2 days and then today at 9:00 am cst., I returned to my office and the screen was black with the fans still running. I could not wake it up, so I powered it down and restarted...that is when I ran the sfc.
I don't really understand the instructions above, Saltgrass, but I am going to attach a new zipped file as before...let me know, please, where to go from there...

Attachments

• Seven Forums.zip
    377.8 KB · Views: 438
My post was supposed to get Elmer to make some comments... :cool:

But you need to open device manager and check if you have anything with a yellow mark. From you information, I would thing would have at least one. Let us know.

The errors about the drive or controller errors seem to be important. Possibly you might run chkdsk to see if the drive is having problems or has become corrupted.

The unknown for me is the AMD Overdrive and what effect it is having. Are you running AMD Overdrive, and what is it supposed to do?

C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Fuel\amd64

The only thing in dev mgr shows unknown device on PCI standard ISA bridge (ACPI\NTN0530, ntn0530) property= hardware ids (driver not installed) I tried to auto install but was unsuccessful.
I don't have a clue.
Please tell me what is "AMD overdrive" I copied and pasted the link you provided, but it would not work...
As far as chkdsk, I ran a h/d regenerator and all was clean...I will now run a chkdsk /r and if I find anything, I will post immediately...

The unknown device might be an IR receiver, or at least that what it seems to point to. I do not see a Inspiron 2205 computer on the Dell site and the 2200 does not seem to have a driver for the IR. If you have that on your system and do not use it, try disabling it in the bios. But this should not be causing any of your problems.

The link was not a link but the location on your system to the file showing up as causing errors. If you have the AMD Overdrive installed, it seems you would know. Maybe you could recognize something on this link to AMD.

AMD OverDrive

I went to services and changed the "fuel" service to manual and then stopped the service...I will now re-boot and see if it is still listed if and when I get another lockup....

I was gone all day yesterday, so this morning I booted it and it crashed immediately with bsod ..it aLSO SAID MEMORY DUMP WAS UNSUCCESSFUL. (sorry bout the caps) I then took the hd out of the system and hooked it up to my other desktop with a usb adapter and it recognized it perfectly. I re-installed it and went back to services in safe mode and re-started the "AMD fuel service" I disabled earlier. It boots now, but I am lost as to what the problem is. I also have noticed that in system info, it shows a bios date of 9-09- ver 8.00.1, in the bios(F2), it shows A07-11-2010. Dell shows an optional bios dated 11-2010- A05...Whatup with all that? FYI, this is a reconditioned system we bought 13 months ago.
BTW, I don't find anything when searching for AMD overdrive on my system.
Thanks again

...I also have noticed that in system info, it shows a bios date of 9-09- ver 8.00.1, in the bios(F2), it shows A07-11-2010. Dell shows an optional bios dated 11-2010- A05...Whatup with all that?
Your not alone. When I looked earlier your bios "numbers" totally threw me!
BTW, I don't find anything when searching for AMD overdrive on my system.
The AMD Overdrive is part of the Catalyst Control Centre. Open CCC, it's under the Performance tab. It used to be advised that people having problems should remove CCC/only download the drivers for their graphics card. This still applies to some people, but not as bad as it used to be. With yours being an "older" machine.......

Download and run CPU-Z. Take screenshots**/snips of the Mainboard tab, Memory tab and all the slot #'s under the SPD tab.
Go to Post Reply, click on the Go Advanced button and attach the screenshots**/snips to your post for all the RAM experts to see by using the paper clip you will find on the top toolbar. Do not zip them up.
**If screenshots, please crop.

Please be sure to get all the slot numbers under the SPD tab.

Last edited:
Thanks, Elmer.... mainboard.PNGmemory.PNGslot1.PNGslot2.PNG

You may want to consider changing the rams Command Rate in bios from 1t to 2T to see if that improves the systems stability. Are you still crashing? Attach the latest dmp files to a post for us to look at.

Where will the command rate in bios be shown?
The system has been running fine for 2 days....hard to fix when it is not consistant...lol

It would normally be in your mobo manual, usually available as a pdf from the Mfr.

You've a Dell. Probably locked out of changing it. Worth a look though.

Got another lockup and crash..event viewer shows:

An I/O operation initiated by the Registry failed unrecoverably.The Registry could not flush hive (file): '\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE'.

I looked up that error message and found a couple of things. There is no way to know if the error is causing the crashes or just the result of them.

But searching the net, I got two basic ideas. The first, related to Windows server 2008 was the system may be running out of resources, possibly virtual memory.

The Software hive, mentioned in the error message, is where Windows stores configuration information not used for booting and items for third party applications, such as paths and licensing, etc. Got this information from Windows Internals 5th edition by Mark Russinovick. The second suggestion was it might be necessary to replace the hive on your hard drive. If that were the case, and hopefully it is not, doing so might put your system in jeopardy. But it does appear the backup is probably only a couple of days old.

So I would probably concentrate on your memory or some application that might be misbehaving.

Back
Top Bottom