Windows 7 Samsung 300 E5Z notebook, with Windows 7, startup problem

Dave Alex

The Problem:
When I start the laptop, the screen first shows the usual bios screen. Immeditely after that it goes blank, with only a small blinking cursor showing on the top left corner of the screen. Sometimes all screen goes blank, even cursor doesn't blink. If laptop behaves normal, then after blinking cursor for one time, Windows 7 animated logo is displayed on the screen.

When It Happens:
It happens almost everytime when I start the laptop in the morning or after a gap of two three hours. Sometimes the problem happens two or three times in a row. It does not happen everytime the laptop is turned on.
Some days, the laptop behaves normal, when started anytime during the day. And some days, it goes blank two times out of four, while starting.

Can some one guide me if it is a Windows 7 problem or hardware problem and how it can be recified.

Laptop Specs:

Laptop Model : SAMSUNG 300 E5Z

Operating System : Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU : Intel Core i3 2350M @ 2.30GHz
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology

RAM : 2.00 GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard : SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD. 300E4Z/300E5Z/300E7Z (CPU)

Graphics : Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics Family
NVIDIA GeForce GT 520MX

Hard Drives : 466GB Hitachi HTS547550A9E384 ATA Device (SATA)

Optical Drives : ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SN-208BB ATA Device

Audio : High Definition Audio Device

Thanks in advance

If you have a warranty valid, take it to the seller. The problem could be practically anywhere.

A blinking curson on the upper left is usually an indication the OS is not being found or the boot is being misdirected. Have you had any problems with the drives or does the Event Viewer show any entries of errors or warnings that might be related?

You also have two video sources available. How is your bios set up to determine which one it uses?

Have you tried using an F key to boot into Safe Mode and see if it stalls there also? It could be some driver not loading or having problems loading.

In your explanation, do you always cold boot the system? You don't let it sleep or hibernate and wake it from that?

Back