Windows 7 Samsung USB Portable U3

rimmer

Hi there,

Recently purchased a USB Samsung M3 portable hdd 1TB-

I have Windows 7 Ultimate Sp 1 installed-

Plugged in the drive and it is listed under Device Manager->Disk drives> Samsung M3 portable and when you double click drive is listed as "working"

When I go to my computer the drive does not come up.

When i go to Disk Management I do not see the drive. Diskpart also does not list the disk.

The hard drives works in another windows 7 machine

Any suggestions to fix this please?

thanks

When you connect the drive, do any messages come up?

Have you tried changing ports? If you have USB 3.0 ports, try it in a 2.0 port.

Do you hear the drive spin up and any lights?

Tried different ports same, drive lights come and spins

No messages come up.

But when Im in device manager and disconnect the drive the drive disappears when i reconnect the drive reappears again, so the pc is detecting a change

Did you try this drive on another PC and see if it's OK? Try updating the drivers in the USB string.
Joe

Does the drive show a Safe Disconnect option? If so, have you done that and then reconnected?

Have you formatted the drive yourself?

If it shows in Device Manager, can you try to uninstall it there?

I don't really know why a drive would work with one Windows 7 system and not another, unless some drivers were not available. But USB stuff is fairly normal, although USB 3.0 drivers are not native to Windows 7 and need to be installed. But the drive should still work as in 2.0 mode.

Yeah it does it shows safetly remove device so i did then reconnect same-

I havent formatted the drive because it cant see it to format but i guess i can manually format on another pc.

Another thing is the drive actually shows up as Samsung U3 portable Devices and Printers,

Really strange and frustrating why it is no seen in my computer or disk management.

A few things don't use a hub to connect and don't use a cable longer that the one supplied. If the drive has a separate power supply try pluggging directly into the outlet instead of a surge protector. These external drives can be very sensitive to low voltage and sometmes those things can cause the problem. Also a lot of PCs have prety wimpy power supplies.
Joe

Back