Windows 7 Save RAM from dead laptop?

Ken M

I'm new to this forum so excuse me if I'm asking this question in the wrong place.

My old HP laptop died from overheating (a common issue with that model I found out). Is it worth saving the RAM modules before I send it off to the recycler?

The 2 modules are each 512mb DDR 333 CL2.5

I don't have a use for them as my new laptop already has 8GB RAM.

Any other suggestions before I get rid of this laptop? I plan on removing the hard drive.

Thanks, Ken

Unless the overheating also damaged the ram, I don't see any compelling reason not to save.
As for the HDD you can purchase a USB external enclosure and have a ready made external storage solution.
Just be sure the enclosure you buy is correct for the type of drive you have ie: SATA or IDE.
Notebook drives make very handy external storage devices because of their small size.
They normally don't need an external power supply like external drives based on 3.5" desktop drives.

I always pull the RAM from old computers. My thought process is I might be able to use it in another computer or sell it on eBay. That said, I have reused some, but I also have a huge pile of obsolete RAM now I can't use, and I can't throw in the trash because it is bad for the environment/landfills.

Removing the HD is wise to prevent it from getting into the hands of badguys where they might find some of your personal information. You can then destroy the drive, or "wipe" it clean with a good wipe program like, Link Removed due to 404 Error. Of, if you are afraid the drive will just sit on the shelf for the next 10 years, you can use Eraser to wipe it clean, and recycle it with the laptop. Note that deleting or reformatting does NOT remove the data - it only marks the space as available. Only a "wipe" program effectively makes old data un-retrievable by overwriting every byte with a bunch of random 1s and 0s, ensuring any residual data is lost.

Free hard drive recycler you just pay shipping. Still need to wipe drive to be safe.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Back