Windows 7 SBS Server 2003 R2 Shared Fax can't use on Windows 7 Prof

Cayman

Hello,

I have a Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2 using Shared Fax. All of my XP, 2000 computers have no problem accessing the shared fax, all I need to do is have the network fax installed as a printer and then I can send faxes.

I have the Fax successfully installed as a printer on the Windows 7 Professional computer but when I choose it to print to a window opens that I have to chose to setup fax using a attached modem or a shared fax location, I've tried //Servername/fax, //domainname/fax, I've tried everything I can think of and I can't get the Windows7 machine to find the shared fax.

Any ideas? I've googled and can't find anything. I've tried looking on the Shared Fax manager on the server and don't see any settings there.

Thanks again,

Cayman

Good work, glad you managed to figure it out and thanks for posting back and updating your thread with the information above. The solution you found that works, involves something called Universal Naming Convention or UNC path and will generally support hostnames as well as IP address, and must always be preceeded by two backslashes (forward slashes are not supported) not sure why those got switch around since they seem to work fine with UNIX, ftp, http, .... probably just to keep us on our toes.

Back