Windows 7 Screen capture

Kevinw596

Hello all, i was wandering if someone here knew an easy way to get a screen capture of the desktop? I've googled for awhile, and best i've come up with is using the "prt sc" button on the key board and putting it in microsoft paint. As simple as the instructions were, I still couldn't make it work. It would never copy to clipboard. I've done this in XP before, (although not sure how I did) but never Vista, but someone had mentioned that Vista had a built in snipping tool that could do it. I'm hoping that Win/7 does also. Thanks for any info. God Bless!

that is gonna be the best way for you

press print screen, or what ever your may be abreviated to

then open ms paint, dont make new or anything just open it, then press ctrl+v

then you will see it

nest go to file, save as..., and save it as a jpeg

thats it

Win7 lets you use the snipping tool. However the excellent free editor IrfanView has an excellent screen capture utility. One of the best free programs out there IMO - and works well in Win7 x86 or x64.

as simple as it is, the snipping tool is very convenient. It is a wonder it hasnt found its way into windows earlier. prnt scrn was never really a pain, but convenience/simplicity factor is very high.

The snipping tool has one limitation (In my use!) It cannot be used to capture a pull up menu. For example, if you want to make a screen shot, for presentation in a forum, of the start menu, this is seemingly impossible, as the start menu vanishes as soon as you select the snipping tool. Apart from this it is excellent.
Fwiw, Kevin, what have you been trying with the prtSc facility?
There should not be a proble. Press prtSc and open Paint, then Paste (top left) or Ctrl with V.
If you want a focussed image of an open window, then Alt and prtSc will capture it. Try it in my comment above. Open your startmenu, Alt PrtSc, open Paint, Ctrl V or paste. Maybe I should menion (?) don't forget to save as somewhere.

Easy solution but a bit fiddly.

1) Use Prt Screen to capture whole screen.
2) Open Wordpad (or Word - Wordpad is fine as not everybody has Microsoft Office. Wordpad is in the acessories, Note use WORDPAD not NOTEPAD).
3) Paste the image into wordpad. You'll see it immediately - no need to start Paint, Photoshop or whatever.
4) now use snipper tool to extract the piece you want (with the pull down menu).

For other stuff the snipper tool works fine.

Cheers
jimbo

The snipping tool has one limitation (In my use!) It cannot be used to capture a pull up menu. For example, if you want to make a screen shot, for presentation in a forum, of the start menu, this is seemingly impossible, as the start menu vanishes as soon as you select the snipping tool. Apart from this it is excellent.

Actually, the Start Menu works fine with the snipping tool. I just tried it. Can't seem to capture pull-down menu's though.

I've tried the Snipping Tool and it has worked fine for me once I got used to it. I have not tried a full screen yet but what I have tried has worked fine. I have saved all of my snips to my desktop and I really like the thumbnail that shows up of what I snipped. I even like the name. snip,snip.:)

That is interesting, fillup.
How did you manage to stop the Start menu - all programs, vanishing when you tried to use the snipping tool?

That is interesting, fillup.
How did you manage to stop the Start menu - all programs, vanishing when you tried to use the snipping tool?

Not sure. :confused: I don't think I've changed anything. It's just always worked that way for me. Do you have the Snipping Tool pinned to the Taskbar?

To snip pull down menu's, it's a two step procedure. First you hit the "print screen" button on your keyboard, then go into Window's Paint program and paste your screenshot there, then enable the snipping tool and capture what you want off the Paint program's window, then save to where ever you want.

Works like a charm......

Not the answer I wanted. Sorry Djwayne. That is just a rather long way round from just Alt PrtSc, which I mentioned in my post.
Thank you Phillup. It did not occur to me to pin it in the taskbar - Works perfectly!

Sorry davehc, just trying to help. I agree though pinning it to the task bar does indeed work, but how many time am I going to need to copy a pull down menu ?? Very rarily.

I agree. Not really so well worthwhile cluttering the taskbar for that!

Back