Windows Vista Screen goes black

stsaf

When I boot, after the Vista green loading bar disappears and before the Windows Vista logo appears, the system stops to respond (I get a black screen, no mouse, no cursor, no HDD activity, nothing). This occurred after I installed a second hard drive. When I disconnect the drive I can boot up again; but for the life of me, I cannot understand what the problem is with the second drive. Any advice?

Hi! What do you use the second "Hard Drive" for ? Can you describe please, the kind of set up you have or had to the second hard drive ? Maybe you installed it incorectly...

When I boot, after the Vista green loading bar disappears and before the Windows Vista logo appears, the system stops to respond (I get a black screen, no mouse, no cursor, no HDD activity, nothing). This occurred after I installed a second hard drive. When I disconnect the drive I can boot up again; but for the life of me, I cannot understand what the problem is with the second drive. Any advice?

I'll assume that the drive is IDE, what do you have the jumper setting at? If you look at the back of the device you'll see a little connector that fits between two pins. This is to enable the drive to be either a master or a slave, or you can choose something called 'cable select'. Try moving it so it's on cable select (there may be a diagram on the top of the drive showing you the required positions).

Let me know how you get on....

I'll assume that the drive is IDE, what do you have the jumper setting at? If you look at the back of the device you'll see a little connector that fits between two pins. This is to enable the drive to be either a master or a slave, or you can choose something called 'cable select'. Try moving it so it's on cable select (there may be a diagram on the top of the drive showing you the required positions).

Let me know how you get on....

It's a SATA drive, so there are no pins to set it to master or slave. I just had it laying around and wanted the extra drive. But for the life of me, I can't understand why the screen goes black just before fully booting when I attached the drive.

Hmm....ok

When you attach the drive and then boot, can you get into the bios or does the screen black out before thats possible? If you can get into the bios, just check the boot assignments (not the boot order).

What is your full spec including PSU?

Back