Windows 7 sderf

Status
Not open for further replies.

sderf

OK here is the problem. I upgraded from XP which worked great as a clean install. The olny problem I have is my computer won't boot up from the hard drive only if I leave the upgrade CD in the drive will it boot.
I reloaded it once same thing. I called another tech guy and he said he had never heard of this happening. I need help as i don't want to keep the disk in everytime I restart.
Thanks to anyone that can help.
Fred

drew

I reinstalled 3 times still no luck. Is there a repair place on 7 instead of new install??
thanks

OK here is the problem. I upgraded from XP which worked great as a clean install. The olny problem I have is my computer won't boot up from the hard drive only if I leave the upgrade CD in the drive will it boot.
I reloaded it once same thing. I called another tech guy and he said he had never heard of this happening. I need help as i don't want to keep the disk in everytime I restart.
Thanks to anyone that can help.
Fred

Is your boot priority set correct in your bios?

Bios

Yes i have check that many times. I don't get it's like the boot files are not loaded on 7
XP 64 worked just fine
Thanks
sderf:eek:

Yes i have check that many times. I don't get it's like the boot files are not loaded on 7
XP 64 worked just fine
Thanks
sderf:eek:

Next time you reboot to the install disk, press Shift + F10 and at the command prompt type and enter.

bootrec /fixboot

remove your install disk and see if it will reboot to the hard drive.

We Need More Information

It would help if you could tell us the nature of the failure. What are the symptoms? "My computer won't boot" is pretty vague. Are you getting any error messages? Are there any errors in the Event Logs that might tell us what's going on? With the information that we have, we're just shooting in the dark. So far, it could be anything from a corrupted boot sector to a mis-configured boot.ini to a bad OS installation.

Boot

I will try to answer all your ????,s
Drew:
on the bottom left of the install now screen on my upgrade the only thing that is on the bottom left is this"What to know before installing Windows" under that is a copyright notice, that's it.

Evening star: No error message. When i reboot the computer the message on the screen is press here to boot from a CD. If I have the upgrade CD in there I do nothing and the computer starts up. If I take the CD out it ask the same question and that the end of it. It will not boot from the hard drive.I have done the following
Reloaded 3 times
Put XP 64 back on and loaded a clean install from there

everything works fine except the only way I can get the computer to boot is to leave he Win 7 CD in the drive. Weird ain't it

Tblount: The shift f10 is not and option from this upgrade I tried it 5 time nothing happened. Boot priority is correct.

Thanks for all your help
sderf

maybe try a startup repair from a "system repair disk" :)

to create the disc just click control panel and select "backup and restore" then from the options on the left pick "create a repair disk", once done boot to this and ask it to repair (normally two or three times is needed) and see if that repairs the bootmenu ;)

If that doesn't work can you post a screenshot of your partition(s) from the computer management window, done by right click manage of my computer and select disk management.

Evening star: No error message. When i reboot the computer the message on the screen is press here to boot from a CD. If I have the upgrade CD in there I do nothing and the computer starts up. If I take the CD out it ask the same question and that the end of it. It will not boot from the hard drive.

everything works fine except the only way I can get the computer to boot is to leave he Win 7 CD in the drive. Weird ain't it

How is the disk partitioned? Are there any other hard drives in the computer?

1) If you have multiple hard drives, it might be trying to boot to the wrong drive. Check your BIOS.

2) If there is only one partition on the drive, make sure that it's configured as a primary partition.

3) This probably has nothing to do with it, but we're talking wierdness here: Make sure the partition is set as Active.

I suggest using Paragon Partition Manager to test these conditions, but be very careful. Make sure you have a backup of (at least) all of your data. But if the above solutions don't work, the "easy" (yet very painful) fix is this: Delete all partitions on the drive, format the drive, then install Windows. As a matter of fact, you might do this instead of Nos. 2 and 3 above.

Win 7

Reply to all

I am up and running. Word of advice for all up graders from XP. Before you start disconnect every hard drive , internal and external. When I up graded with a clean install it move the win7 OS to drive D:\. The reason for that is beyond me. Second it wiped clean one of my other drives besides the D:\ which in my case was F:\ WHY I have no idea.
Anyway, after all of that it works great so far (after 4 re installs, loading XP64 back on 2 times)
Thank you all for trying to help, I appreciate it.
sderf:p:D

Reply to all

I am up and running. Word of advice for all up graders from XP. Before you start disconnect every hard drive , internal and external. When I up graded with a clean install it move the win7 OS to drive D:\. The reason for that is beyond me. Second it wiped clean one of my other drives besides the D:\ which in my case was F:\ WHY I have no idea.
Anyway, after all of that it works great so far (after 4 re installs, loading XP64 back on 2 times)
Thank you all for trying to help, I appreciate it.
sderf:p:D

Be careful .. they called me stoopid for giving this same advice a while back. ... EVEN though I explained why.

Here - you can probably find out why it happend:

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/25352-want-install-windows-7-second-drive-how.html

Be careful .. they called me stoopid for giving this same advice a while back. ... EVEN though I explained why.

Why? Microsoft took so many controls out of the setup procedure -- and there weren't many to begin with -- that data loss was bound to occur during an upgrade to a multi-drive system. The only way to avoid it is to remove the non-essential drives.

That's the thing that pisses me off most about Windows 7: They've taken many, many controls out of Windows that we'd gotten used to, and the default configurations that they've left us with cause big problems when they don't fit a particular configuration.

Why? Microsoft took so many controls out of the setup procedure -- and there weren't many to begin with -- that data loss was bound to occur during an upgrade to a multi-drive system. The only way to avoid it is to remove the non-essential drives.

That's the thing that pisses me off most about Windows 7: They've taken many, many controls out of Windows that we'd gotten used to, and the default configurations that they've left us with cause big problems when they don't fit a particular configuration.

If I disliked Windows that much ... I wouldn't use it. Have you found anything good about Windows 7?

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-discussion/25365-my-list-30-windows-7-annoyances.html

If I disliked Windows that much ... I wouldn't use it. Have you found anything good about Windows 7?

It's not my job to promote Windows 7 or any Microsoft product. As a consumer and an advocate for my clients, my job is to demand better and to push Microsoft -- or any large organization -- as hard as I can toward doing better. I may recommend to my clients that they use a product that is not as good as I think it should be simply because it's the best that is available. But that doesn't mean that I like the product -- or that I dislike it. Besides, Microsoft does not need my approval nearly as much as it needs my criticism.

And, obviously, what you would do and what I would do are two different things.

Thanks, 'tblount'. I been on the verge of wanting say some along such lines for a while. Makes little sense to me, also.

I've always found that staying "on the verge" is a very uncomfortable and unrewarding place. I find it much more productive to ask questions and to speak my mind. But before I formulate judgments, I ask questions first in order to be sure that I have sufficient information for them.

If you're curious then all you have to do is to ask, as tblount did, although his question was probably rhetorical and not literal, meaning that my answer will probably fall on deaf ears. But if you just want to stay confused and to not understand, then saying nothing is a good strategy.

Does not come across as 'constructive criticism'; more like condemnation, contempt... the type of feeling where one sure would not use it or sell it cus they didn't respect it or believe in it.

Criticism rarely sounds constructive when the listener feels defensive or has some kind of fear. But I'm pretty sure that Microsoft is not afraid of me. And it should be clear that I use Microsoft products. After all, I own and use at least one of their products (actually a bunch of them) on a daily basis. But if you really want to know the truth, my primary workstation still runs Vista Professional, although that's only because I haven't had time to move all of my software and data to this Windows 7 machine. I estimate that the project will require two more weeks, for a total of a month, given the limited time that I have to work on it every day -- but upgrades to my primary workstations have always been like that. And since I've started spending time here, that leaves a little less time for the job.

But if it will help you folks to feel better, I'll say it this way: Some aspects of Vista are excellent. Some are really lousy. Some aspects of Windows 7 are much better than Vista, and some suck sewer water.

So it goes.

But be warned: don't ever ask me what I think about Linux or MacOS. I own those, too, and some of their adherents are even more upset with me. If it was left up to me, I'd program in Lisp just because it's so pretty, and live on the command line. But I can do well with any operating system, although the GUI takes some of the challenge -- and fun -- out of it. The last GUI that I was in love with ran on VAX VMS in the '70s.

It's not my job to promote Windows 7 or any Microsoft product. As a consumer and an advocate for my clients, my job is to demand better and to push Microsoft -- or any large organization -- as hard as I can toward doing better..

I just wish you could understand how hard we all work here to help people resolve problems and be more considerate than to just splash negative comments over every thread you create and visit. Haven't you noticed that this isn't a forum for "pushing" Microsoft? Or a forum for posting nonconstructive comments and criticism? We are trying to fix problems. You just stand out as someone with nothing to contribute. If you want to change Microsoft you are wasting your time here... Microsoft has forums where your voice could be heard. This one has no connection with Microsoft.

Here is the way we see it... rather than the glass being half or 3/4 empty, we see it as 90% full. We (although I can really only speak for myself) understand it's really an impossible task to develop any operating system that can work with literally thousands of combinations of hardware, while making it secure and user friendly. And if that's not enough of a challenge it's got to be able to take advantage of multi-thread / multi-core processing that on the leading edge of technology ...while at the same time run on computers over 15 years old with barely any memory. We respect them for that.

I would urge you and encourage you, in every way, to learn to program and write software to fix the thing you aren't happy with because the people who are coming here for help are not going to fix anything you don't like.

I just wish you could understand how hard we all work here to help people resolve problems and be more considerate than to just splash negative comments over every thread you create and visit.

Okay. You don't like me. And I should care what your opinion is of me because...?

Haven't you noticed that this isn't a forum for \"pushing\" Microsoft? Or a forum for posting nonconstructive comments and criticism? We are trying to fix problems. You just stand out as someone with nothing to contribute. If you want to change Microsoft you are wasting your time here... Microsoft has forums where your voice could be heard. This one has no connection with Microsoft.

I'll let you the very minute that I consider your opinion about what I should do with my time to be important.

Here is the way we see it... rather than the glass being half or 3/4 empty, we see it as 90% full. We (although I can really only speak for myself) understand it's really an impossible task to develop any operating system that can work with literally thousands of combinations of hardware, while making it secure and user friendly. And if that's not enough of a challenge it's got to be able to take advantage of multi-thread / multi-core processing that on the leading edge of technology ...while at the same time run on computers over 15 years old with barely any memory. We respect them for that.

Fine. Did I ever say that you shouldn't like Windows 7?

No.

In case you haven't noticed, what you think about it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. You're just the local BMOC ("Big Man On Campus") here and, because I criticized one piece of advice that you gave to someone, you feel somewhat perturbed. But your life in this online pseudo-world will be much easier if you keep your personal comments about me to yourself. You're not doing yourself any favors. You can criticize any advice that I give all you want. We'll debate. That's fine. I like intelligent, informed debates. You can even criticize my opinions if you can stay on point. But this lame attempt at an ad hominem attack isn't helping you.

I would urge you and encourage you, in every way, to learn to program and write software to fix the thing you aren't happy with because the people who are coming here for help are not going to fix anything you don't like.

Sonny, I sold my first program in 1979, a tool for designing racing sailboat hulls that employed 3-dimensional integration, hydrodynamics, was coded mostly in assembler, and that drew engineering drawings on a really snazzy plotter, the likes of which few people had ever seen. After that I went into developing educational applications and networks for a decade. You might have used some of my software when you were learning to read. But that was a while ago, and I've been doing much more interesting stuff since then.

I'm uninterested in your advice, especially since you advise people to violate the Microsoft EULA without, apparently, understanding what you're doing.

You'll be better off if you drop this little snit, ignore me, and get on with what you say you want to do here. Making this personal will not be of any benefit to you.

I will talk about Windows anytime I want and in any way that I want, since I'm an expert and you are a relative novice. And given that I've criticized Windows in only four posts out of over twenty (so far), you might consider dropping this right now.

And one more thing, tblount:

This particular forum is the most general Windows 7 forum on the board. This one is entitled "Windows 7 Discussion" and is not devoted to any particular topic other than Windows 7 in general.

I think that my comments about Windows 7 fit that category. Your comments about what you think of my behavior, given that I haven't attacked anyone personally the way you are attacking me, are the ones that seem inappropriate here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back