Windows 7 Search function

robserr

Hi - I'd like to perform file searches like they used to be in Windows XP. I could search for multiple file types by typing : *.xls, *.ppt, *.doc
and restrict the date, and even files that contained certain words within the files.
I can't seem to do this as well in Explorer for Win7pro, I can restrict dates and do 1 file type at a time, but not search for words within file itself. I liked the XP search capability much more. it was more flexible. How can I fix? Much thanks,
R

If I know the general folder I'm looking in is right I'll drop to a DOS prompt (Winkey+R "CMD" ENTER) and then I'll do a dir command like:

dir /s /od *.xls

That will tell it to search in the current folder and any sub-folders and sort each folder result by date.

I was doing that the other day while I had a technician connected to my computer helping me sort out some problems with my internet fax connector service. He was checking a few things on his end and I was just trying to find a file and he stopped me and showed me how to search properly in Win7.

You just bring up explorer, click the search icon (magnifying glass) in the top right, and then you can add filters. After watching him do it, I still don't like it, and I'm totally happy with my DOS commands.

Have you considered a search replacement like the Google desktop search tool? I wouldn't ever go that route as I hate helpers that slow things down, but I know lots of people that love using it.

Good luck with it!

what was the XP function called, search assistant? Whatever it was called, PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!! Microsoft, can you hear us? The current search functions in 7 is completely useless, it's almost like losing all your files

Thanks All, I'll try some of those options but was hoping there was a built in one.

WAVE - the search funtion in XP was just click on the start menue, then on the right column of the start menue there was a magnyfing lens and the word 'search' - then you had tons of easily accessible filter options. I agree, the W7 one is totally lame.

Cheers and thanks again.
Rob

the search funtion in XP was just click on the start menue, then on the right column of the start menue there was a magnyfing lens and the word 'search' - then you had tons of easily accessible filter options. I agree, the W7 one is totally lame.
Yep you're right, it was built in, but it had a name. It was very usable and allowed to easily filter by size and date.

Another infuriating behavior of the win7 search is when you click on a column to sort, it starts the damn search all over again after you've waited forever for what crappy results you did get :mad::mad::mad:

Locate32 will add a search function to your right click drop-down menu.

Last edited:
Back