Windows 7 secondary hardrive

Enaxe

I upgraded from xp. I have a primary and secondary in my pc, when i upgraded the secondary is no where to be found in my computer, i can still see it in devices, but there are no useful options for it. how can i read it, without having to reformat?

An upgrade is not the route to take. It leaves useless files on your system and can cause conflicts.

Save all you Documents, Pictures, contacts, videos, music, etc to a flash drive,

Be aware, you will need to re-insatllall your 3rd party applcations.

Then perform a "clean" insatll.

Are you saying you have 2 hard drives, one with Windows 7 and one with XP? Are they SATA or PATA drives? Were both drives installed during the Windows 7 install?

An upgrade is not the route to take. It leaves useless files on your system and can cause conflicts.

Save all you Documents, Pictures, contacts, videos, music, etc to a flash drive,

Be aware, you will need to re-insatllall your 3rd party applcations.

Then perform a "clean" insatll.

Can he upgrade from XP?

I upgraded from xp. I have a primary and secondary in my pc, when i upgraded the secondary is no where to be found in my computer, i can still see it in devices, but there are no useful options for it. how can i read it, without having to reformat?

What shows in your bios under hard drives? Is the missing drive a Seagate 7200.11 ?

What happens if you shutdown and unplug the one that is working? Missing OS or no drive found?

Since you had XP you couldn't do a direct upgrade.. did you use system transfer?

Yes you have to perform an upgrade with XP.
QUOTE]

Doesn't xp require a clean install? Only Vista upgrades... right?

I know an upgrade version will work based on seeing xp has been installed.. but I don't think it imports any system settings, software, personal files, photos, documents, etc. It's really a clean install isn't it?

Now even I'm getting confused:confused:

This is a direct copy from Mike's post:

If you are on Windows XP and planning to UPGRADE...

YOU MUST DO A CLEAN INSTALL. There is no upgrade path.
There are user migration tools you can use, but you will need to backup your files and do a clean install. I have seen several threads about this and just want to clarify.

The upgrade from Windows Vista is a valid upgrade path, but Windows XP to Windows 7 is not

Back
Top Bottom