Windows 10 Secure Boot

Joseph Gotsens

I just canceled my Windows 10 download request because of "Secure Boot." I find it's very disturbing to work under its conditions of inflexability. Without an option to select or deselect, Secure Boot is an irrational restriction on the individual. I hope enough people have enough gumption to complain. If it is not in their database, you are SOL!!

Do you have a system that can handle Secure Boot?

Maybe some details as to you situation would help us answer your inquiry..

Maybe not possible in some computers= I have no interest in the feature, and its associated problems, and have it disabled. in the bios in 2 Dells and an Acer.

The Asus P8H67-M-EVO MB has no provision for canceling Secure Boot in the BIOS. Also, I talked to Asus and they said there would be a drivers problem Windows 10. How many people will be surprised when this happens?

I just canceled my Windows 10 download request because of "Secure Boot." I find it's very disturbing to work under its conditions of inflexability. Without an option to select or deselect, Secure Boot is an irrational restriction on the individual. I hope enough people have enough gumption to complain. If it is not in their database, you are SOL!!
I'm not at all sure exactly, what "Secure Boot" has to do with Windows 10 Insider Preview (or any version of Windows for that matter, as it has been around a while now), other than Microsoft was or is a member of the Consortium Group who evidently preside over deciding whether or not the ability to disable "Secure Boot" is mandatory or optional.
Most recently I guess the edict is now it's optional. I think that means that, it is up to the OEMs to include that function or not.

http://arstechnica.com/information-...ke-the-secure-boot-alt-os-lock-out-a-reality/

You don't mention which revision of the board you have, but revision is UEFI able. Not sure exactly what that might mean because I had a Z68 which was UEFI capable, but not really Secure Boot capable due probably to the version of the UEFI bios.

Along with Trouble's comments, I have not yet seen a motherboard which would not allow secure boot to be disabled by enabling the CSM. For instance, if you had a non-UEFI capable video card, you would need some way to allow the boot anyway.

I do allow Secure Boot on any system running just Windows 8 or 10. I have it turned off on my X99 because I Parallel boot Windows 7 and 8.1.

The Asus P8H67-M-EVO MB has no provision for canceling Secure Boot in the BIOS. Also, I talked to Asus and they said there would be a drivers problem Windows 10. How many people will be surprised when this happens?

Most new computers still provide legacy boot for backwards compatibility. However, there are some tablets that can boot in native UEFI mode only, such as Surface Pro 4. UEFI secure boot will block almost all traditional MBR-based bootdisk, you have to use GPT-based bootdisk.

By any chance do you see an option to "enable legacy boot" as that would disable secure boot normally.

Hi Joseph,
Sorry to hear about your problems with that Mobo. As Saltgrass indicated you might have a down-rev board, or just a bad one.:down: Specs here on your Model number do show it to come with UEFI BIOS standard. Not having that option is certain rare--I've never seen one either. We are aware of some UEFI's without the legacy or secure-boot settings however from other users and techs here on our forum. Here's the link to the spec I looked up on your Board: ASUS P8H67-M EVO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - Newegg.com

I also noticed that out of 45 reviews on this Board, on the newegg site; it only scored a 27% out of 100% rating. That's extremely poor for any Mobo let alone ASUS,:skull: which I consider to be the top of the line in Mobo manufacturers. As that Board is 3-5 years old, it was just probably a very badly designed board, and should have been replaced as soon as you uncovered that problem. But unless you did a Multi-OS boot as Mike and others mentioned or you boot from diagnostic media such as DVD disc or USB stick you would never run into it during normal use.

I would suggest you scrap that Mobo and buy a new one. MSI now has W10 certified Mobos with proper UEFI BIOS, and all of their Mobos I've seen have the secure-boot option in there. Here's a link with more information: MSI First Motherboard Brand to be Windows 10 Certified
Since you have a self-built PC, you can just change it out. I would also look at your PSU specs when you do so, as a common precaution, as you may have to upgrade to a more powerful higher-wattage unit. You can downgrade your W10 if you don't want to upgrade the Mobo and run Win7x/8x, or replace it and do what I do with old Mobos here:
Marc MOBO Collection2 2016.jpg

Best of luck,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Last edited:
Back