Security Essentials will not uninstall

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Software' started by KCav, Feb 24, 2012.

1. KCav

KCav Senior Member

I want to remove Microsoft Security Essentials from my notebook. I went to Control Panel > Programs and Features > right clicked on Microsft Security Essentials and poped-up said Uninstall. I clicked on Uninstall and it said, "An error has prevented Microsoft Security Essentials Startup Wizard from completing successfully." :eek:

What should I do to uninstall MS Security Essentials?

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

This sounds counter intuitive but a re-install then an un-install of said software.

3. Drew

Drew Banned

Just curious... why the desired removal?

4. KCav

KCav Senior Member

I'll try it.

Ken

5. KCav

KCav Senior Member

I need to repair Windows and thought by removing MSE problems would be solved. Those that are still there will need attention, and then I will reinstall MSE.

6. Drew

Drew Banned

Ummm, ok. Bit rare to have problems caused by MSE but, thanks for explaining.

7. catilley1092

catilley1092 Extraordinary Member

I'm with you on that, Drew. Although I only run MSE within XP Mode, it's a very computer friendly AV. Works fine with XP, Vista & Win 7. No BSOD's, except one, back in 2010, when I participated in the Beta Test for MSE 2.0, hosted by MS Connect. Being that is was a beta, and was just released, I was expecting bugs anyway.

However, when I Beta Tested MSE 4.0, all was fine. That's what I run within my 2 XP Mode installs.

As to removal of MSE, Revo Uninstaller did a great job. After a reboot, and a swipe with CCleaner, MSE was gone.

Cat

8. KCav

KCav Senior Member

When I tried to install MSE it said "Already installed."

9. KCav

KCav Senior Member

OK, will try to remove MSE with Revco Uninstaller and then run CCleaner.

10. Drew

Drew Banned

When it said Already Installed did it show on the Programs & Features list?

11. KCav

KCav Senior Member

I finally succeeded in uninstalling MSE. I down loaded MS Fixit and clicked run. No indication of what was happening was visible. Later when I went to Control Panel > Programs and Settings, and clicked on Uninstall MSE, uninstall worked, MSE was removed from my system.

12. Drew

Drew Banned

Seems it's called Fix-it for some good reason...

1 person likes this.
  13. KCav

KCav Senior Member

After removing MSE system problems continued (problems began after I created a sperate User account). I reinstalled MSE from the Administrators account; placed shortcuts to Start Menu in C:/ProgramData/Microsft/Windows/Start Menu. I can run MSE when logged in as either User or Administrator. After running MSE I found stuff in C:/ProgramData/Microsoft/microsoft antimalware. Does MSE use any other account to store its configuration, logs, quarentine, etc.

14. Drew

Drew Banned

Ok, Ken, what "problems" are you trying or wanting to address? You haven't really stated what those are. I don't get why you are trying to dig deeply into MSE folders, files, logs, etc. Seems it's now established that the cause is not MSE... I can likely advise how to tackle the "problems" usefully but, 1st, what are they??

Regards,
    Drew

15. catilley1092

catilley1092 Extraordinary Member

It got my DVD-ROM going again. Somehow, the registry values got screwed up, the Fix-It-Center got it going again. This was back when the program was in Beta.

Cat

16. Drew

Drew Banned

Indeed, it's a fine & handy 'tool'. Good for IT Pros & End Users, both. Often 1 of those good '1st things to try' when something seems amiss.

Drew

#16 Drew, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  17. KCav

KCav Senior Member

When I click on IE a pop-up window appears. In the window it asks me to configure the Add-on Search engine. If I click the Close button the windows closes and I can proceed to browse. In Days of Ole, when I clicked the IE icon my homepage appeared. Now I have to log into my Google account, select the item that says Products, scroll until I find iGoogle and click on it. Then my homepage appears. If I reset the IE homepage setting the next time I enter IE my homepage will appear and the only problem I have is I need to close the pop-up window.

I'm not certain, but I feel my Registry became corrupt as a result of changes made to settings in Windows that affect where Program Data is stored and User rights to access the information. I have two User accounts: KCAV is system administrator, and MLMH is a member of the User group. Here are some questions I have:

1. When I click on C:/Users MLMH and Administrator/AVS are displayed. Why not MLMH and KCAV?
    2. Kcav uses IE, iGoogle, same as MLMH, but each have different settings. What folders are the settings stored in?
    3. If I went to the Command line and typed Regedit where should I look to find KCAV's permissions to use these programs.

#17 KCav, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  18. Drew

Drew Banned

I sent you a message, Ken, earlier today. Trying to visualize what you're describing.

What "settings" are you after?