Windows 7 Security essentials

rdutton

Running win 7 with Microsoft Security Essentials.. No Problem, but I read somewhere that Microsoft was going to abandon Security essentials.. Should I switch or was it just a rumor.

I am no security expert.
However, I have read this article and it is bad news for MSE......
excerpt:
In an interview with Dennis Protection Labs, Holly Stewart, the senior program manager of the Microsoft Malware Protection Center, said that Microsoft Security Essentials was just a “baseline” that’s designed to “always be on the bottom” of antivirus tests. She said Microsoft sees MSE as a first layer of protection and advises Windows users to use a third-party antivirus instead.

click this Source to read the entire article.

I tried it and dumped it after it quit running for no reason a few times. There have been reports all year from mutiple sources that Security Essentials is at the bottom of the list when compared to other AV products. AV Comparatives http://www.av-comparatives.org/ one of the testing groups pulled it's certification months ago. I switched to Avast Free.
Joe

I thought so,,,was suspicious when Mal Bytes was picking up malware and Essentials was not--
dropped essentials, put Norton back to work..

......... put Norton back to work..........

If you have already purchased Norton, then go ahead use it. No point to waste money.

If not, I would suggest you try something free, such as Avast which has a free edition.
I use that on both my Win 7 and my Win 8.1.

I have downloaded Norton from Comcast--they furnish it free to Xfinity/Comcast users..
Thank you for the tip though,
Bob

Back