Windows 7 Security essentials

rdutton

Running Security Essentials, up until about a month ago all definition updates were automatically installed. Now they are all marked as optional and I must manually install them.
Is there a setting that I can change back to automatic install?

Running Security Essentials, up until about a month ago all definition updates were automatically installed. Now they are all marked as optional and I must manually install them.
Is there a setting that I can change back to automatic install?

back when I used to use MSE there was a setting in the setup section where you could turn them off or on. I would just manually install them. I don't use MSE anymore because I had to many little issues with it. avast free or avg free are some I use and no problems at all. most of the name brand free antivirus all work as good as MSE in my opinion. 6 desktops in my house and all have different free antivirus on them and they all do well. clamwin/avg/avast/panda/avira they are all freeware and all work good. poorguy

I switched back to Avast too because of issues. MSE keeps getting poor reviews in independent testing with commercial products. MSE also recently lost it's certification. I saw that posted in the Windows 8 forums I believe.
Joe

I switched back to Avast too because of issues. MSE keeps getting poor reviews in independent testing with commercial products. MSE also recently lost it's certification. I saw that posted in the Windows 8 forums I believe.
Joe
hey joe, Microsoft does make a good product,however in my opinion this is not one of them, just some unsolved issues. I like avast and avg no problems with them ever. just got tired of the problems that I was having with MSE. it is all freeware and freeware kicks butt. poorguy

I noticed 3 or 4 times that MSE had just stopped working for no reason. It started OK on boot but just stopped. I also like frequent auto updates like Avast does. Here is a link about the failing test results Microsoft Security Essentials fails AV-Test certification... again - TechSpot I think as Windows 8 becomes more used hackers will go after MSE as a big target. I don't have confidence in MS when it comes to AV products.
Joe
hey joe, yeah saw the test results. I have windows 8 but I turned off MSE and I am using Avast. to many other hassle free antivirus that works out there to choose from and most do a decent job for basic protection. common sense is still the best antivirus though. however some never find the download for it. poorguy

hey all, MSE is a ok product for the most part and I can say that I never was infected with a virus when I did use it. my complaint was all of the little B S issues that I had with it. the MPKSL legacy drivers it kept trying to install, also the problem that it does stop for no reason or it says that it hasn't been scanned for awhile when it did a scan the night before. etc etc. tried all the fixes and they were only temporary. I have also had the same issues with some of the other free antivirus and that is why I don't use them. as said before they are free so can't really complain, and there are so many other choices try them all find one you like and use it. common sense antivirus is still the best. the freeware just adds to it. just my opinion. poorguy

My advice is to uninstall MSE and install free COMODO Firewall that has antivirus and firewall at the same time. You can get the free version, which is very good and robust.

Back
Top Bottom