Windows 7 Security Question??

Wilhelm

Not sure this is where this should be posted.

If one has Norton Security Suite and Avast,on their Laptop and you connect to a site that is unsecured like McDonalds are you vulnerable to being hacked? Or is it as if you do not have any security at all?
Right now we are out of state and fearful to look at anything other than emails. Thanks

If you have firewall and antivirus as you describe then you should be safe from all but the most determined hacker. You can also run a regular check using something like malwarebytes (free version) to scan your system to ensure that nothing has got through the net.

If you have firewall and antivirus as you describe then you should be safe from all but the most determined hacker. You can also run a regular check using something like malwarebytes (free version) to scan your system to ensure that nothing has got through the net.

Thanks Pat. I was using MalWare, Avast and Windows (something) berfore My Internet Provider gave me Norton. Can't remember what the Window's thing is called. After I downloaded Norton, I did away with all but Avast due to the startup time being to long.

1. You don't have to install Norton if you are happy with what you have.
Your ISP cannot force you to change your AV Program.

2. It is not recommended to have 2 AVs ( Norton and Avast ) installed in the same machine. They will create Conflicts and you will end up getting less protection then having just one AV program.

3. I would not recommend Norton at all. Did your ISP make you pay for it?

I have a Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
All I am using are.....
Avast for real time protection and Malwarebytes (free edition ) for on-demand protection.
That's all I need.

1. You don't have to install Norton if you are happy with what you have.
Your ISP cannot force you to change your AV Program.

2. It is not recommended to have 2 AVs ( Norton and Avast ) installed in the same machine. They will create Conflicts and you will end up getting less protection then having just one AV program.

3. I would not recommend Norton at all. Did your ISP make you pay for it?

I have a Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
All I am using are.....
Avast for real time protection and Malwarebytes (free edition ) for on-demand protection.
That's all I need.

Thank David, my ISP is giving me Norton at no cost. My thought was more security the better. Comcast even gives me
Constant Guard but I have had a problem with it not being able to have it show up adjusted to the settings I am using. Like I have to move it into the center so all is seen. Not much on the "Jargon" for puters to put is lightly. Old Dog trying to learn new tricks.
Avast has come up with a couple of "Trojan Horsies". not to much from Norton. Was not done and accidently hit the wrong key. Thinking of installing MalWares, hate to pass up Norton though.

..........my ISP is giving me Norton at no cost.
Hope it is not at no cost for a "trial ".

If you like Norton, then uninstall Avast.
You have to choose one or the other.

It is included in Comcast. Not a trial. Have been using Norton and Avast for quite some time. What do I know, not much.
They seem to co-exist as far as I know.

Several Security Programs are not recommended. Earlier, sometimes in Windows 95 and 98 having several were recommended, but not longer. And an Executive of F-Secure stated, it's best to have the whole package from one company, since mixing milk with buttermilk may not produce a pleasant product.

Or, handling an assault gun together with a machine gun... go figure. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom