Windows 7 security

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Hello
I think there is a statistical diffeence between MSE with Win 7 native firewall as opposed to Norton Security Suite offered free by my isp.
I know subjectivty plays a large role in the choice but as an unskilled user I can only rely on substantial information -that is why I am here..
Haven taken statistics in school I realize how misleading it can be but there must be some criteria that helps one decide.
I have used both and never ha a problem but have always been behind a router.
I do know Norton is lighter than it used tobe but does penetrate the pc and take over to a degree. ME is lighter and has less to it but I woonder if it is as effective especally the native firewall.
I will be on the road for about 2 weeks and using the laptop under varying circumtances and would like to have an edge on intrusion.
At times I will not be behind a router.
I asked this of a person I thought knew better but all he came up with was that it is like asking which of 2 beers is better. I was hoping someone here could do better.
Thank you
P.S. I will continue to seek out some surveys on my own but any help would be appreciated.

Peter,

I cannot put this emphatically enough. Choosing between MSE & (OMG) Norton is a no-brainer. ABSOLUTELY, go w/ MSE. And, further, don't use more than 1 (software) firewall @ a time. I strongly advise use MSE & the native OS Firewall.

The, it's like picking between Pepsi & Coke idea is dead wrong. Just use MSE & the Win7 Firewall, period. Now, you can put your thoughts elsewhere & enjoy your road trip :)

What I am telling you is the same I tell & would tell any of my clients.

Cheers,
Drew

Peter,

I cannot put this emphatically enough. Choosing between MSE & (OMG) Norton is a no-brainer. ABSOLUTELY, go w/ MSE. And, further, don't use more than 1 (software) firewall @ a time. I strongly advise use MSE & the native OS Firewall.

The, it's like picking between Pepsi & Coke idea is dead wrong. Just use MSE & the Win7 Firewall, period. Now, you can put your thoughts elsewhere & enjoy your road trip :)

What I am telling you is the same I tell & would tell any of my clients.

Cheers,
Drew

>>Thank you for confiming our basic thoughts. That is how we are set up. I'll bring my router because each year our guest let's us use her isp cable to do so.
Thank you very much fo rthe information we only suspected.
Peter

I came back to my post because I cannot upgrade to Skype as of 926 2012.
I get messages that there are network issues.
Should I have domain, private and public all checked to begin with?
Thank you
Peter
PS - Skype offers solutions to outbond and inbound but I would rather quit the program than try to learn all of that. I spent an hour and still could not fllow them. They must have other than Windows Home premium.

These two attachments show what Skype is telling me which I do not know what to do with.
Thank you for your advice.
Peter

Attachments

• Skype.png
    Skype.png
    88.9 KB · Views: 392
  • skype 2.png
    skype 2.png
    101.3 KB · Views: 405
Thank you so much for your prompt and accurate information - I am all set now to Skype the grandchildren.:thumbs_up:

Back