Windows 7 semi-crash

Patrick Ahern

I am running HP Pavilion a4310f, 3.0GHz, 6GB RAM, 640GB hard drive.

I am observing the following difficulties: :(
1. No Internet connection
2. No audio
3. No System Restore
4. Modem, router seem to be functioning normally. I am able to sign in using this Asus netbook computer
5. Ran Norton Internet Security, Antispyware, Malwarebytes, CCleaner: no change
6. 'Network Hardware Not Recognized'
7. Microsoft installed automatic updates upon shutdown last night.
8. Same result with IE9, Firefox, Google Chrome.
9. All Win 7 network fixes failed or were inoperative.

Is this a driver problem? If so, which ones am I missing? Difficult to obtain drivers since I cannot sign on to the Internet.
I do have a peripheral DVD recorder to connect to this netbook if necessary to obtain Internet stuff. :frown:

I must confess I never thought much of this netbook until now due to speed. Now it may be a lifesaver.

As an aside, how does one access this website if not in possession of a second, functioning computer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. +o(

Try looking in the device manager and see if any are marked with yellow. Did you try booting into safemode and see if system restore works there?
Joe

Thanx, but none of suggested solutions worked.
I managed to get System Restore to go back to before Microsoft "Updates" were installed.
All works normally now.
Needless to say, I disabled "Automatic Updates".

It stated "14 important updates are available", and "7 optional updates are available".

I DON'T THINK SO!! HAVE LEARNED MY LESSON REGARDING MS UPDATES!! INCLUDES VIRI (VIRUSES IN LATIN)!!

Precisely what are the differences between "important updates", "optional upates", and "recommended updates" ??

How can I trust MS Updates in the future?? How could this have happened to me??

When I powered off, screen showed message that more MS updates were being installed, although I disabled this feature. How do I really disable it??

This website oftem rejects my user name and/or password which I had used successfully earlier that day. What goes on there?

Help on all counts, please.

Last edited:
MS updates are known to be a potential pain. In my case, with Windows 7, they have worked quite fine. But since the computer and OS are complicated entities, the question remains how certain it can be held, as a total sum. And it's not safe and certain with Linux either - as a matter of fact, like I've noted several times, if producing an OS would be that easy, we would have OSs like we have mobile phones. Like another point I've made, we are not in the IT society, we are still heading towards it. All human error is bound to be obvious, for quite a while.

The difference between important, recommended and optional updates is not, in my opinion scientifically exact. It's a subjective classification. I would recommend to take the important ones, and look at the others before you install them. But, I must say it's hard for me to believe that Microsoft creates harmful updates - with a zillion bits of updates, I'd say it may be difficult for the best expert to create an update "at no risk".

You can disable your updates at Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update\Change settings. --- But I wouldn't support it. With all its flaws, this OS works.

Best wishes. :)

MS updates are known to be a potential pain. In my case, with Windows 7, they have worked quite fine. But since the computer and OS are complicated entities, the question remains how certain it can be held, as a total sum. And it's not safe and certain with Linux either - as a matter of fact, like I've noted several times, if producing an OS would be that easy, we would have OSs like we have mobile phones. Like another point I've made, we are not in the IT society, we are still heading towards it. All human error is bound to be obvious, for quite a while.

The difference between important, recommended and optional updates is not, in my opinion scientifically exact. It's a subjective classification. I would recommend to take the important ones, and look at the others before you install them. But, I must say it's hard for me to believe that Microsoft creates harmful updates - with a zillion bits of updates, I'd say it may be difficult for the best expert to create an update "at no risk".

You can disable your updates at Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update\Change settings. --- But I wouldn't support it. With all its flaws, this OS works.

Best wishes. :)

"I would recommend to take the important ones, and look at the others before you install them."

How would I know which MS updates ro install??

I paid for this Win 7 os assuming that Microsoft Operating System assuming that the friends of Bill Gates knew what they were doing. Apparently, this is not the case.

It seems, the more I learn about computers, the more undependable they seem.

Or, am I expecting too much of this Digital Technology???

You have made a valuable point; I can't trust anyone, even Microsoft, to know what they are selling.

I thank you for your input. Will never install MS "updates" again, since there is no way to prove they will not disable my computer. It seems that System Restore is the best MS program ever.

Sincerely,

Patrick Ahern

There is a good chance there is only one update that is causing your issue.
First now that the PC is working do a manual create sustem restore.
Then do the updates manually one or two at a time (especially the important ones). If you run into a problem then restore back if not continue on. After each succesful update do the manual create system restore.
One of the optional ones may be a driver update that caused your problem.

The main problem with IT is, we're actually facing a new frontier. It's all very experimental, risks are high level and, even if it's basically quite safe, the true certainty is somewhere around the first experiences with gunpowder, not to forget nuclear bombs.

Like I noted, Windows 7 updates have worked well. Misfortune happen, and one thing that's quite often forgotten is, the customer also has a responsibility. We cannot merely run around like blind sheep, expecting providers to make it all work perfectly. We do need and must take our part of the deal, not only lying on the couch waiting for the goodies.

As a matter of fact, this Forum is one of such places. People want to help you, period. Out of pure friendliness. Sounds nice to me.

Best wishes, cheerio, :)

There were 14 "critical updates.
You are suggesting that I run System Restore 14 times to locate this problem?

I am not a computer expert, only a home computer user. I should not be having these difficulties with this product I have paid for.
Responses, although appreciated, have been rather ambiguous.

Do I download these "critical updates" or not????? Ecaxtly how "critical" are these updates, since they are actually causing problems with my computer??

There seems to be a problem with this HP Pavilion a4310f desktop computer. Perhaps this is another "ghost in the machine".
Perhaps Microsoft is pushing Windows 8??? Never had trouble downloading MS updates before.

I am perplexed, confused, flummoxed, at this point in time.I do not know whether to trust MS any more. Perhaps I should switch to another Operating System.

Still waiting for an useful explanation as to how this could happen, and how to solve this problem.

Download the updates one at a time and see if one works ok before doing the next one. It will take time but it will show which one is the problem and then you can examine that. A lot ofus hee are just home users too.
Joe

I haven't installed updates in I don't know how long. I've installed service packs, but I have automatic updates turned off. The thing I noticed a looong time ago was, for every "hole" MS tried to fill with an update they made 10 more "holes". I once read that MS's firewall might stop something from getting in your computer, it does nothing to stop it from getting out. Basically if a keylogger gets in, MS has no problem with letting it "phone home" with all of your information. That may have changed, but I'm not risking it. I don't use their antivirus because if I need one because their software is so easy to write viruses for, how do I know their antivirus is effective? I wouldn't use their software to protect their software, that's like letting the fox guard the hen house. System restore? The fact that you got that to work is amazing. You should buy a lottery ticket. I use Zone Alarm firewall, Avira Premium antivirus and Acronis disk imaging software. I think I'm better off getting my computer set up just the way I like it and making an image. I back everything up in partitions and externals so in the unlikely event something happens I can run Acronis and be back to normal in 10-15 minutes. This is just me though. Lots of people here will tell you you should always do updates, I just don't see the need.

Last edited:
Back