Windows 8 Semi-Random Bsod

ZenDanny

Hi. About a year ago I built my computer. It worked fine for six months. Then it started crashing so I reinstalled windows 8. That seemed to have worked but now it been crashing again. BSOD's about 10 minutes into pretty much every Steam game I play. However it sometimes but rarely crashes randomly during internet browsing. Its usually an service exception error but at times its been irql not less or equal. I attached a W7F file with cpu z pictures. Please help. I don't want to reinstall windows again!

Attachments

• W7F_05-10-2014.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 436
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff803964ff682, ffffd0006066eaa0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys
Probably caused by : atikmdag.sys ( atikmdag+12b88a )

Followup: MachineOwner
Code:
 0xc0000005 - The instruction at 0x%08lx referenced memory at 0x%08lx. The memory could not be %s
Hi,
wow that's a few dump files... :) The above is the most frequent Bugcheck although you do have a fair selection of different Bugchecks which can mean a hardware issue of some type.
Looking at your CPU-Z shots I see your overclocking but did you notice the voltage? That isn't enough for a 4.3GHz overclock

Please return to default values until the source of the bsod is determined.

Driver wise your looking pretty good although your GPU driver popped up several times in dump files. It could be that the driver is either corrupt or it could be down to something causing the driver to crash. If either stopping the overclock or updating the bios doesn't stop the bsod then try re-installing the driver again making sure you uninstall it with this app:
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

I also notice your bios is old:
BiosVersion = 1503
BiosReleaseDate = 01/11/2013
Please update to the latest version as stability updates are included:
http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/M5A97_LE_R20/HelpDesk_Download/

Please ensure I have the correct support page for your motherboard.

If after making the above changes you still get the bsod then you need to test your RAM.
Windows does have it's own memory testing app but it can often miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86. The latest version of which can be found here:
http://www.memtest.org/

To run Memtest86 you need to either burn a copy of it to disk or use a USB stick. If you look down the page you'll eventually find the latest version and it's associated downloads. If your burning to disk choose the pre-compiled iso zip. If your using a USB method then the corresponding download is the auto installer for a USB stick.
Once you have Memtest86 on the media you selected you'll then need to enter your bios and change the boot order so that the machine will boot from either the disk or stick you have Memtest86 on.
Try and run the test overnight (12hrs minimum) if possible unless it becomes clear that there is a issue. If there is a problem with the RAM you'll see the errors pop up in red so you can't miss them.

Post any new dump files.

Well, I updated my bios and so far no problems. Five hours of gaming and not one problem. Thank you for all your help.

That's great to hear ZenDanny, post back if issues arise again.

Back
Top Bottom