Server Migration

TheKillerQueen

Hi Guys
I’m doing my first solo migration (sbs to server 2016). I’ve seen it done a while back and half been involved so I just need some clarification.

Of course there are guides online to follow which ill do, however they don’t specify one key thing - at which point does the old server in my case the sbs, become defunct.

I.E - i know doing adprep etc is ok , but at what step do i have to get the users working on the new server, is it as soon as ive prepped the new AD or before?

My worry is that i move the fsmo roles etc and everything stops working and the users are buggered

Any advice would be great, cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you keeping the same domain (ie building the 2016 server as a second DC before removing the sbs?)

Last edited:
Once you have all the FSMO roles running on the new server and DNS (two most important items) and any of other services (DHCP etc) moved. You can power down the first DC without demoting it. Do that part in the off hours to validate the new DC is working properly. At that point you can bring it back up and demote it.

Testing FSMO roles
Determining FSMO Role Holders - Petri

The answer to "When should I cut over?" question is going to be different for every business. It's basically whatever gets agreed upon between IT and the business.

Its not really a case of when, but what part of the process forces the move. As soon as the new dc is promoted?

Also does migrating the AD also migrate all the users and groups, or do i need to manually re-add them.

Ive been involved in too many new servers and part migrations so its all mixed up in my head :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AD is very heavily dependent on DNS, more specifically SRV records. On the new DC you will just use 'Add Feature/Role' from the server console to install the DS and DNS roles. This will automatically create SRV records for the new DC. At that point you will have two DCs serving requests. Then you will want to promote the new DC to primary since the Schema and Domain naimg FSMO roles need to be moved to the second DC. At that point, when you're ready, you can power off the first DC to test and validate it's handling all the FSMO roles and you can login. Once validated you will want to power the old DC back on and demote it. The demotion process should remove the SRV records automatically. Once those SRV records are gone the DC will no longer handle any requests and can be removed or powered off permanently.

If it's not apparent, double check all installed roles on the SBS and make sure they are configured on the Server 2016 box since the SBS will be unavailable when/if you remove it.

Back