Windows 7 Set Default Programs Is One-Way

oldbushie

I recently installed foobar2000 which brings up the Set Default Programs interface to handle file associations. I've never used it before, so it's likely that this problem was around for a while. At any rate, for *every* program, while I can select new file associations I can't deselect already associated ones. All of the checkboxes are greyed out and can't be unchecked. I've Googled around and other people have had the same thing happen, but nobody's proffered a solution. Is this the intended functionality?

Last edited:
Only one program can execute a file type at a time, hence the default program that will open the file association. Prior to file types having associations to programs, you would have to open the program first and then open the file. Remember, there is only one default program that will open a filetype. So if you set a program like Paint to open a .BMP, it will be the only program that will open it by default, unless you run a separate program and open the file or drag and drop manually.

If I understand your request, you would like Foobar to open music files like MP3, OGG, and WMA. To do this, you need only go to Start -> Default Programs -> "Associate a file type or protocol with a program". This is described best as "Make a file type or protocol (such as .mp3 or http://) always open in a specific program"

Only one program will do this at a time. If you are having an issue whereas if you open a program like iTunes or Windows Media Player, and the default then goes back to one of those programs, this is because somewhere in the options it is set to always be the default player. You need to uncheck that option.

Otherwise, you can very easily make foobar2000 the player of choice for your files using Set Default Programs. Only one program is going to run when you open a file, so replacing it as simple as selecting the foobar2000 executable and clicking OK or Apply.

My point is that there doesn't seem to be a way through the interface to *disable* a default file association for a given type entirely. I think I recall that being changeable elsewhere but I forget where. I fully understand not having conflicting defaults, that's just common sense. But what's the proper way to make a file not associated with anything?

My point is that there doesn't seem to be a way through the interface to *disable* a default file association for a given type entirely. I think I recall that being changeable elsewhere but I forget where. I fully understand not having conflicting defaults, that's just common sense. But what's the proper way to make a file not associated with anything?

For reasons I've never understood, windows dialogs will not let you do that, even XP and Win2k would not allow it.
You can do it through some serious registry tampering but that is definately not recommended.

To change a file association, follow Mike's steps.

Yeah, I know how to change file associations just fine, no issues there. Thanks for confirming whether or not that option to disassociate a file from all programs exists though. About the only way I know for sure is through a registry cleaner after a program has been uninstalled, since the file associations for uninstalled programs have a bad tendency to stay in the registry.

since the file associations for uninstalled programs have a bad tendency to stay in the registry.

Actually that too is deliberate. This gives windows the cue to pop up the "Open With" dialog to set a new association. What people forget is that if the file exists on a system, there needs to be a program that knows what to do with it so Windows tends to "pack rat" file extensions in it's assocation database.

Ah, got it. Still an inefficient way to go about doing things, but who am I to expect efficiency from Windows? :p

Back
Top Bottom