Windows 10 Set-up confusion

tvzzz

When I recently got a new Windows 10 computer, I used my backup program to copy all my data files from my backup drive to the new computer. However, It all went under a user name of “Mot”. However, I see that my desktop files are under the user name of “Tomva”. (I don’t know just how this happened, but that’s my first name and the first 2 letters of my last name.) The Desktop folder under Mot is empty. The Documents folder, etc., under Tomva are also empty.

It seems like this should all be consolidated. I don’t care which user name it’s under—I just want it set up simply and correctly. Shall I simply move my data files to Tomva? Would this cause any problems? Do I need to do anything else?

THANKS!

Hi

The stuff in your Documents folder etc, aren't really stored in that folder but are probably in your Users\User Name\Documents folder, someplace.

The files shown in your Documents folder are really just links to them.
Because of the way they were transferred (I'm just guessing), they may not have gotten registered so that they don't show up there.

You probably will find 2 users in your Users folder, one for Mot and one for Tomva.

Run a search for a document or file that you know the name of and see where it is at.

If it were me I'd use your backup program to copy all the files to a specific folder of series of folders so they are uncompressed and then distribute them to where you want them from there.

If you copy them directly to the Libraries Documents folder they will really end up in your Users folder.

I don't like using backup programs for data myself, I find it a lot safer to simply copy the backup data to my backup drive without compression so they can be copied back without the use of any software.

That's because I once had a backup file became corrupted making all of the contents unreadable, I lost a lot of stuff I really missed.

Since then I keep it simple.

I do use backup software to make a system image file of my C:\ drive, so I can restore Windows if I need to.

Mike

Last edited:
Windows 10 leads you to set up the system with a Microsoft account. If it done that way, the user folder uses the first 5 letters of your e-mail address.

Back