Setting default program problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by hungrycamels, Dec 23, 2011.

1. hungrycamels

hungrycamels New Member

I play Minecraft a lot, and many of the mods that I download use .zip to open. So I used to do this before, but for some reason I uninstalled 7-zip, so I tried re-installing it. The file that I use to open .zip files is the 7zFM (7-zip File Manager). But whenever I try to set that application as the default program by finding it and selecting it, it just doesn't want to change. Please help!

2. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

Not sure what might be going on, but you may want to double check by manually opening 7-Zip File Manger and
    select from the menu bar Toos->Options
    and under the system tab make sure that zip (CompressedFolder) is listed among the Associate 7-Zip with: list
    See attachment.
    Then click the start orb and type
    default programs
    and hit enter
    select the Associate a file type or protocol with a program link
    scoll down near the bottom and find .zip
    if not already associated with 7-Zip File Manager
    click the Change program button and browse to C:\Program Files\7-Zip
    and double click 7zFM.exe
    See if that helps.
    Regards
    Randy

3. hungrycamels

hungrycamels New Member

Well, that worked with .zip files after I used 7-zip options to associate it. But I still have a problem with .jar files. When I use the default programs>open with window to change .jar to 7zFM and select it, it just closes the browsing window and won't select it. How do I fix this, because it worked with the .zip files?