setting internet connection for XP via windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Networking' started by Gil80, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Gil80

Gil80 Senior Member

Hi all.

I have windows 7 as my main computer with 2 lan adapters. One is connected to the cable internet connection and the other is connected to a computer in the living room which runs windows XP.

I used to have windows vista instead of 7 and I could surf the internet with the XP as well.
    Right now I can share and access folders from XP to 7 and vice verse but I can't access the internet from the XP at all.

Can someone assist me with this issue please?

Thanks,

Gil

2. gavin19

gavin19 New Member

You must activate ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the Local Area Connection that connects to the internet, if you haven't already. Open 'Network and Sharing Centre', left click on the connection, likely 'Local Area Connection', and then select 'Properties'. Now click on the 'Sharing' tab at the top and tick the top box. Some services are required for ICS to work, like Windows Firewall amongst others, but it should work just fine. A reboot of both PCs may be needed to enable internet connectivity on the XP machine.

Hope this helps :)

3. Gil80

Gil80 Senior Member

Thanks. I'm a total newbie! :)

4. stueycaster

stueycaster Millennium Celebration Award Winner
    Premium Supporter

No problem. Everyone starts out as a newbie. I'd hate to tell you what was going on in my mind when I was trying to learn how to use Windows 95. :eek: