setting up a server

Jimbo22

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
I'm thinking of setting up a home server for back ups and file storage and sharing of my home network. Right now I back up each individual computer to my 2nd hard drive on my desktop. I would like a more efficient way of doing this and automated preferably. Werther I build or out of a box, I would like some input on how I should go about this. I've seen HP's version of the home server back up which looks pretty simple and exactly what I'm looking for. What are the difference's between the home sever OS and server 2008 OS?

Windows Home Server is just that: a server operating system designed for the home. It uses a basic user interface for easy management of a limited number of server roles. Windows Server 2008 is more a full-featured operating system, which required some extensive configuration. It is much better for a business to run Windows Server 2008 than Home Server. Home Server is more of a way of managing files and backups across a few computers. With Windows Server 2008 Standard or above, you can manage all of the computers in a business from a central location. This can include application deployment, group policies, and complex functions and roles. You could active the IIS role on Server 2008 or use it as a CA (Certificate Authority) for improved security in a business. Server 2008 is definitely for businesses, while Home Server is a system that is more self-managed and doesn't really require any hands-on or professional training. Many people go through the process of achieving certification to manage and operate the infrastructure required to successfully operate Windows Server 2008, while Home Server presents more of a UI that helps you do a few tasks like: file sharing, remote access, backups. Windows Server 2008 can be used to host databases and so forth, as well. So if you were convinced to run one at home, you may have better luck with Home Server.

Home Server allows for centralized backup of 10 PCs. Business environments will usually require much more flexibility in this regard.

See more: Windows Home Server - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back