Windows 7 Setup Windows Firewall - Allow: LAN, BLock: Internet

douglascaixeta

Hi,

Is it possible to setup the Win7 Firewall like this: every program will be allowed to access the local network (LAN), for example games will be able to play, and no program will be allowed to acess the internet.

How can I do this?

Doug,

Hi & Welcome to Windows 7 Forums :)

> Search, type, Firewall & in there you can tweak settings, Exception & so on.

Cheers,
Drew

"A scan a day keeps the nasties away!"

I know that. But in Windows Firewall its separated by Public or Private Network, not LAN and Internet. I don't know how to do it.
Maybe another firewall can do it? I tested ZoneAlarm and NetLimiter, both can't do.

Hi,

Is it possible to setup the Win7 Firewall like this: every program will be allowed to access the local network (LAN), for example games will be able to play, and no program will be allowed to acess the internet.

How can I do this?

Yes, you can do this by configuring a new rule (Outbound), browsing to the program executable, blocking the connection and then choosing where you want to apply it the default is all (Domain, Private and Public) Be careful how you name these new rules and keep a good list of the rules you create. So you can go back and disable the rule if it causes some unintended consequence. Or you can just delete the rule. This is all based on
A. You don't want to entirely block the internet, that would be a simple protocol rule involving only TCP and Port 80 and
B. You have some specific programs in mind. I just created a new rule on my computer for Outlook and it works flawlessly, so now I need to go back and delete it.
You may also want to create an identical inbound program rule.

Last edited:
Back