Windows 7 sfc

is it saying the log file is corrupt (in which case you can just delete it) or is it saying the log file contains a log of corrupt files?

SFC said,"Corrupted files have been dtected.
I am not good enough to know the difference. i have since inserted the 2 discs you make when you get the pc but when done it said there was a hardware or other issue and to insert the os disc.

Thank you for the enlightening link for SFC.
I noticed at the end it said, "Replace with a known good copy of the fle".

As my level of knowlege is just ok, is this something I can learn and especially find the known good copy ofthe link in which to replace. It is the repalcemnt that has me a bit confused.

Issue this command in cmd

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log

This will show the .cbs log in cmd. Then right click any place on the cmd window and click "select all". Then right click again on the cmd window and all that text is on the clipboard.

Now you can paste it here into your answer box so that we can have a look at it.

Note: sometimes it helps to run sfc /scannow several times. It may fix errors that it did not catch previously.

Last edited:
Sorry, I had trouble fixing the font size because at first it would not let me save it.

Last edited:
Did you find the name of the files from the command to make a text file from the log?

If so, you might be able to get the files from other computers, or do a search and make sure you have hidden files showing. There may be a backup on your system that the SFC cannot use, for whatever reason. There may be other places to retrieve the files, but I will have to check, as whs suggests.

I suppose the reason for such corruption is troubling, since you do not know the cause.

One thing is I had a usb HDD attached which may have been the problem.
I have since used the recovery discs and all went ok except Windows had tons of updates. I had to do them a few at a time.
I AM SAVING ALL OF YOUR TIPS ABOUT SFC IN CASE I NEED IT AGAIN and plan on studying them..
THANK YOU.

I have Acronis and a WD drive 2 GB but when I recovered back a month, I found the files were corrupted then and I never had run sfc.
I am now keeping a "pure" backup" just in case.
I have yet to run sfc, and error checking on both pcs. I will then feel better about the images.
Yes, Acronis has saved the day on many occasion over the years.
I wonder if you can run error checking and sfc on the external drive?
Anyway, thank you for the help and Blessed Holidays.

I wonder if you can run error checking and sfc on the external drive?
You can run error checking on an external disk with CHKDSK, but SFC (the system file checker) is purely for the OS files. The system holds duplicates of important system files in the so called "mirror" and it compares those files in the system with the mirror. If the system files are corrupted, it replaces them.

But it does not have a copy of all files in the mirror. That is why it sometimes cannot repair some files. Those you can repair with a Startup/Repair with the System Recovery Options menu, which is on the Windows 7 installation disc. The disc, of course, has a copy of all files in the system.

Important notice to all Norton users. The problems I experienced with SFC, dskchk, and system restore were all Norton related. When I disabled the firewall, a/v and turned off silent mode, everything of a diagnostic nature worked. I reinstalled Norton and some worked, but erratically. Norton and Win 7 are having issues.
If you wish to use system restore, you have to disable Norton's tamper protection It is doing its job of preventing intrusion.

Thank you all for the help you have given me and i am glad to report a solution.
Peter

Back