Windows 7 Share a folder with password, over a network?

pettergulbra

Extraordinary Member
Hi

I have found lots of ways to password protect foldres. But I can`t find a way to passwordprotect the access
over local network. (and hamachi2)

I have tried to make a user (test) and the password (test, on that user).
I have tried to share the folder, and just grant access for the test user.
And I can see it if I use another computer, but I can`t access it.

The other Pc I use, do not have the Test user installed, and that is the way I want it.
I don`t want to add the user to all computers. I just want to give it a password, so you have to know that
to go in to the folder.

Is there a way for doing this?

Kindly

Petter

Short answer.... nope you can't do that.
You will either need to have a username and password on the machine hosting the shared resource with the appropriate access privledges that is exactly the same as the username and password being used my the user on the other machine or
That user will need to know a valid username and password on the machine hosting the shared resource that has the proper access privledges to that resource and when prompted he will need to enter credentials in the proper format
The machine name hosting the share follwed by a backslash and then the appropriate username on that machine that has permissions to access that share and then the password for that user
MachineName\UserName
Password.

Hi

Thanks for answer. But I did not understand I think.

I have made a user on the server, with password.

But isn`t the point that, if someone tries to access the folder, the would be asked for username and password?
If thats the case, it does not happen. But it is what I want.

Kindly

Petter

If the username and password exists on both, the resource host (server) and the client machine, and you are presently logged onto the client machine as that user then you will of course be allowed access to the shared resource assuming you have set the share and security permissions properly and you will not be prompted for a username and password. The prompt for credentials will come if you attempt to access the shared resource as someone who does not have the proper credentials.

Thats what I intend to do to. But I can`t get it to work.I have made the user, and added a password for the user.Right clicked the folder, options, sharing, advanced sharing.Mark share this folder, hit ok. Then goes in to permissions, removes Everyone, and add test user.If I then brows the network, the folder shows up, but I can`t access it, and a question for password and usernamedoes not show up.What I`m doing wrong?

Did these thread die? Hope not.Is there an goog trial on how to do this, I will read. But I can`t find anyone.Kindly

Thats what I intend to do to. But I can`t get it to work.I have made the user, and added a password for the user.Right clicked the folder, options, sharing, advanced sharing.Mark share this folder, hit ok. Then goes in to permissions, removes Everyone, and add test user.If I then brows the network, the folder shows up, but I can`t access it, and a question for password and usernamedoes not show up.What I`m doing wrong?
You will also need to set NTFS permissions properly under the security tab of the properties of the shared folder to include users and or groups that you want to have access to that resource.

Hi, thanks for answer.I have added the user under the security tab, and under the share tab.I have removed the everyone user. This does not help at all. Just getthe error. Contact sys admin or something.

When you assign shared folder permissions, keep the following in mind:
Shared folder permissions do not restrict access to users who are locally logged on to a computer where the shared folder is located. Shared folder permissions apply only to users who connect to the folder across the network.
To restrict access to a folder, use shared folder permissions or NTFS permissions, but not both. The best practice is to share a folder so that the Everyone group has Full Control, and then restrict access to the folder by using NTFS permissions.
If shared folder permissions are configured for a folder and NTFS permissions are configured for the folder and its contents, the most restrictive permissions apply.
When you assign a shared folder permission to a user and that user is a member of a group to which you assigned a different permission, the user’s effective permissions are the combination of the user and group permissions. For example, if a user has Read permission and is a member of a group with Change permission, the user’s effective permission is Change, which includes Read.
SOURCE: Managing Files and Folders read this article about half way down starting with "To Share A Folder"
Another resource which addresses the same concepts that may help you understand Share Permissions
Basically, share permissions full control everyone group (has been the practice forever) Then use NTFS permissions under the security tab to granularly assign explict access permissions. And understand the problems with conflicting permissions because of group membership, and because of permissions being pre-determined (inherited) by and from the parent container.

Hi

I have now read this, and I think I get it. But still I don`t get it. Because I can`t get it to work.
I have made som pictures so you can see what I try to do. And as you can see, the test user is changed to Frank.

Her is a picture of the main disc share. And that works. I had to write inn the user Stue and my password. And thats ok.
mainshare1.jpg
And as you can see, I have just gave my self access to this share. And that works. (I got the username and passeord promt one time, and never seen it again)

But here is the picture of the folder share I try to make, and it inside the share of the first picture.
foldershare1.JPG
Everyone, Frank and Admin has the same rights. And still I cant open the folder. With my other computer.
It can`t open anything, I see Stue-PC, and get the password and username prompt, but can`t get in.
foldershare2safeety.JPG
And here you se the security setup for the folder. Here eveyone also have the same rights.

The thing I want is to get the user frank to only see this folder called frank. And have the rights do what ever hi wants in it.
But it looks like I`n not able to do so.

From the pictures and the help I got from Trouble I think I have done it right. But sill it don`t work.

For my main Laptop, I have wrote in the Username and Passeord once, and it has worked since. But not on the other computers I have.

Kindly :)

It seems that you have share permission set OK for the folder "Frank" although the only group/user that actually needs to be in there is the "Everyone" group with full permissions.
Now regarding NTFS permission on the same folder "Frank", your image only has the "SYSTEM" user highlighted so I will just have to accept that the other users in the list have the same permissions as user "SYSTEM", if you say so.
Now those other users are users on "Stue-PC", so.....
An access attempt from another computer on the network would necessarily have to contain that information in the username box of the credentials prompt
Stue-PC\Frank
and then
Frank's password on Stue-PC
If for some reason you can not get this to work properly you may want to unshare the folder and start over or better yet
construct another share, call it Frank_2 set up sharing as previously discussed, make sure Stue-PC\Frank can access it and then move the files that Frank needs into the new shared container.

Thanks for the help! :)

But is it the same for complete discs?

Share with everyone, and then set the permissions via the sercurity tab?
Or is it another way with discs and not folders?

Kindly?

Sharing works pretty much the same whether it starts down at the file level or all the way up at the Disc/volume/partition level, but;
as a general rule it is not considered best practice to start your sharing at the root of the drive unless of course you are talking about a general data drive. If the drive contains the OS you will likely run into problems and create difficulties for yourself when attempting to cascade adjusted permissions down through system files and folders and if for no other reason you should probably reconsider starting your sharing of a drive that contains your operating system. Not saying it can't be done, just saying that there are inherent difficulties in the process that you are better off avoiding.
Sorry for the delayed response to your post. I've been away from the forum for a while and just recently returned.
Regards
Randy

Hi Randy

Thanks for the answer, again. It has been verry helpful.

I don`t share the OS, hehe..
But thanks again.

Kindly
Petter

Back