Windows 7 share files

eerikk

I have two computers one running windows 7 and the other windows xp. I have the windows xp pc connected to the internet through my router. and my windows 7 pc is connected wirelessly through an apple airport express that is connected to my router. I have tried setting up workgroups and sharing files with no success. Is there any way to do this?

First of all, make sure that each machine's software Firewall allows free local traffic, and that the Firewalls are adjusted to your Network IP numbers. Run the Network Setup Wizard to make all files and a network drive fully accessible.

Then, there are 2 ways:

1. Link Removed - Invalid URL

2. Enable Public folder sharing, all of the folders within it will be automatically shared. Move or copy the file or folder you want to share on the network to the Public folder.

eerik.
With respect. Did you look at the link that cybercore gave you? It doesn't get any simpler or more detailed than that.

Eric, take a look at this link. Did you also try 2, to run Network Adviser and enable Public folder sharing ?

As to the Firewalls on each of your PCs, you need to be familiar with them and to access the option where you can enter network IPs to see if they are not on the block list. It really depends on which firewall you're using, different firewalls different options for that purpose. You can simply disable your Firewalls (if you at all have them) for the time you need to transfer files between your computers.

@ RAK, thanks for the follow-up.

i am using the windows fire wall for both PCs and i'll check out the wiki how you linked. yes i have folders that are shared.

Back