Windows 7 Shared Folders question.

Windows7Fan362

Hello.

I have a question. I have a Shared Folder on my Network. And, it has 2 subfolders. 1 is for reading things only. Which works as I want!

However, the other folder, which is supposed to allow users to drop things in it, won't allow the dropping of files in. I don't understand! What am I supposed to do? It's really frustrating me, and I need to finish this task, for tomorrow.

Thanks, in advance.

Disregard my question. I solved it.

I had to remove the parent folder's permissions, and configure the appropriate ones.

But, yeah. If someone needs help with this, feel free to ask for the help on here.

Good for you. Glad you were able to resolve your issue and thanks for posting back with the solution that worked for you.
Breaking inheritance from the parent container and adjusting the permissions on the two sub-folders is exactly what you needed. Glad you figured it out as it can be a bit daunting if you haven't any experience with that sort of thing.
Wish I would have seen your post earlier but probably better you figured it out for yourself as you are likely to retain the information better when the method is self taught.
Thanks for joining our community and we hope to continue to see you around the forum.
Regards
Randy

Thank you, Randy.

I guess the only thing that is problematic with the "Drop Box" folder is that you can right-click in it, and create a file of some sort.
But, yeah. I tried to delete the file in the folder on the "Everyone" permission thing. And, it won't allow me. (Which is a result that the teacher of the course is looking for.).

Not sure if the right click thing can solve anything. However, nobody can alter the files inside the Drop Box. I think that's the major result the professor wants.

I'll try to see, though. If I can prevent the right-click thing in that folder, I'll say how I did it.

Thanks, again, eh!

Make sure you adjust both "'Share" permissions (under the sharing tab) as well as "NTFS" permissions under the security tab. If the shares are hosted on an NTFS volume then both share permissions as well as NTFS permissions must be addressed and cascaded down to include sub-folders as well as files. Again make sure you consider inheritance from the parent container and how that is impacting child containers. Break it as needed by unchecking the box on the child container and copy / add existing permissions as they currently exist and then examine those permissions for any conflicts in group membership as permissions are restricted based on both individual users as well as their associated group membership.
You can do it very broadly by just throwing the old "Everyone" Group, "Full" Control at it or adjust it very specifically by user but you need to then consider how that user's group membership is allowed access to those contents.
So if Jim, who is a member of the Marketing Group has full NTFS permissions to the container and its' contents, but the Marketing Group only has Read, then Jim as a result of being a member of the Marketing Group will only have read.

Back