Windows 7 Shortcut Arrows

iflog

Honorable Member
Hello. I would like to remove the shortcut arrows from the icons on my desktop. I made the registry change by creating a new key, naming it Shell Icons and putting in a new string

%windir%\System32\shell32.dll,-50

When I start my computer sometimes the arrows are gone and sometimes there is a black box where the arrow was.

I run Windows 7 Professional on a 64 bit Quad core with 8GB Ram and a SSD main hard drive.

Thanks

Why would you want to remove them? This indicates the icon is a shortcut and not an actual data file.

personally, iflog … i don't even like icons on the desktop (not even recycle-bin) … i figure that's what windows start-menu is for. however, a personal toolbar might compliment the arrangement … one that hides when not in use. notepad 'n wordpad 'n explorer are the only icon-pins residing permanently on taskbar. if curious, here's screen-cap of my current desktop: Share your Windows 10 desktop

i've seen a few tutorials on the internet … one even claims a simple ctrl/r click will "refresh" the desktop … dunno' if that works or not for your environment, iflog.

Thanks for any help and suggestions. I found the only program that did work was the Ultimate Windows Tweaker.

Back