Windows 7 SHTML Files Issues with Windows 7

spookygirl

Most of the pages on my website were written in shtml. I have no trouble at all updating those pages with my old computer which ran XP. I downloaded the files into my new computer which has Windows 7 and I can't even see the files. They do not appear in Windows Explorer.
What can I do to see and open these shtml files?

When I update my site, I simply rewrite the source code and upload the new page with my ftp program. Its never been an issue before. I do not use a webpage program, never have.
Thansk for any help!

I did that, just as you said, and I still can't see them in Windows Explorer. I know they are there as I can see them when I open up my ftp file transfer program and I can see them listed in there.
What am I doing wrong?

Just for kicks, in your ftp program, rename your local file to .html and see if you can see that. Report back. I'm here.

I tried renaming and that did not work. They still do not show up. When I had new website rebuilt the builder used shtml instead of html. I have no idea why.

It should not be a problem with the shmtl files since you renamed it and you still can't see it. So let's also try to show protected system files:
Hidden Files and Folders - Show or Hide - Windows 7 Forums

Do that and tell me if you can see them. (Remember after we are done, to re-check and re-hide the system files!)

p.s. do you have other files in that folder that you CAN see?

Here's another thing to do to make sure they are not hidden:

1. Click start >> run >> type in "cmd"
2. Type the location of your drive with the files.. e.g. "d:", "e:", "f:", etc..
3. Navigate to your folder with the files by typing cd Myfolder\Myfiles
4. Type "dir /ah" (without quotes - you will now see the files/folders with hidden attributes)
4. Type "attrib [name of file/folder] -r -a -s -h" (no quotes)
*if you're going to unhide files, you should type the whole name plus the extension (format).. example "attrib party.jpg -r -a -s -h"
**if you have folders with 6 characters and above, type the first 6 characters then "~1".. example for folder named "birthday"
"attrib birthd~1 -r -a -s -h" (no quotes)
5. You should repeatedly type dir /ah after unhiding some files/folders so you'll know if they're now working or not..
6. Now check your files.. if you can see them.

I'll get ahead of you in case it didn't work.

1. restart the computer and check if you can see them.
2. Tell me the folder path you downloaded the files to.
3. Are there any other files in that folder? If there are - can you see them? If not, put other files there and tell me if you can see them.
4. What version of Windows are you using?
5. Try downloading them to a different drive and check if you can see them.
6. What ftp program do you use?

When I had new website rebuilt the builder used shtml instead of html. I have no idea why.

SHTML is HTML that is basically processed on the server prior to it being served in the browser. You can use it to include files to help you with easy changes.

For example, you can create a nav.html file to be included into an SHTML file. And then, when you add a new page, instead of changing ten pages, you only need to change one page. And then your nav will be updated on all pages. As far as building a site with SHTML- it is still HTML, but it is parsed on the server.

Ok I just noticed something, for some reason no file I upload from my ftp program shows up when I look at the file in Windows explorer. But the ftp program is working as I can upload files from my computer to my server using the ftp program. I just did a test.
I use WS_FTP Pro

Yes, I understood that since you can see them in the ftp prog, they DO exist. You were also able to rename them, which means they are there. We are just trying to get them visible. Did you do all that I wrote? Including restarting the computer?

p.s. what AntiVirus program do you have installed?

Ok, I'm making progress. I restarted and I also uploaded the pages using my flashdrive. Now i can see the shtml files, I can open them, work on them BUT when I try and save them, it tells me access is denied.
What setting do I need to change?

When one says "uploaded" that means you sent local files from your computer to your server. When you send files from your server to your computer (or flash drive) that is called you downloaded them from your server. I assume you downloaded them from your server to your flash drive.

What I would like you to do now, before we deal with the access problem, is to copy the files to the folder you had the first problem with and tell me if you can see the files. If you can, we will deal with the access problem.

Here's another thing to do to make sure they are not hidden:

1. Click start >> run >> type in "cmd"
2. Type the location of your drive with the files.. e.g. "d:", "e:", "f:", etc..
3. Navigate to your folder with the files by typing cd Myfolder\Myfiles
4. Type "dir /ah" (without quotes - you will now see the files/folders with hidden attributes)
4. Type "attrib [name of file/folder] -r -a -s -h" (no quotes) )

*if you're going to unhide files, you should type the whole name plus the extension (format).. example "attrib party.jpg -r -a -s -h"
**if you have folders with 6 characters and above, type the first 6 characters then "~1".. example for folder named "birthday"
"attrib birthd~1 -r -a -s -h" (no quotes)
5. You should repeatedly type dir /ah after unhiding some files/folders so you'll know if they're now working or not..
6. Now check your files.. if you can see them.

I'm having difficulty following this. Like after I type in cmd, do I then type in the location of the drive, just the letter, no quotes, then type in cd Myfolder/Myfiles and type in dir /ah, all of this typed in the run box? I know i must sound not too savvy, but I am trying my best. And I appriciate your help!

You're welcome.

We might not need all of this. If you can download the files to another drive and see them, then the problem might be with your original folder you downloaded them at the beginning. That is why I ask you to copy the files from your flash drive to that first folder and tell me if you can see them.

I loaded the the files onto the flash drive from my old computer (which has XP and was very easy to use). I then loaded the shtml files onto my new computer (the one with windows 7) and now i can see them and notepad opens them up easily. But it won;t allow me to save them.

I understand that you are not allowed to save them on your flash drive. Please copy the files to your Windows 7 folder that you had problems with at the beginning and tell me if you are allowed to copy them there and if you see them there.

Yes I copied them into there and I can now see them. I can open them. But it wont allow me to save them. Plus i tried again to load something from my server to my computer, just a simple jpg picture and it doesn't show up in Windows Explorer. I know it must be some particular setting that is doing this.

Go to one of the files on your server and right click it and look at its permissions. Tell me if it's set to 777.

Back