Windows 7 Skirim BSOD problem

tigeren40

Hello everyone,

I have had a problem with BSOD when I play Skyrim, I have tried to fix it by doing steps shown on this site ( Writings, Views, Reviews and Softwares Reviews: Skyrim Blue Screen Error ) but it did not help.

I have also tried running it on a lower setting, this only allowed me to play the game for a few more minutes at best.

I asked a friend for help and he showed me this dump file video where an admin on this site gave inscrutions on how to upload the dump files and some of you could help me. I would appreciate if someone could see what the problem was and guide me if there is anything I can do to fix this problem

View attachment 120211-14492-01.dmp

Thank you for your help.

Hi tigeren40

Welcome to the forums. I do not currently have the software on hand necessary to perform the debug, but rest assured someone will take a look at this one. Skyrim is a fantastic game and it is a shame you are having problems. Check to make sure your graphics card is not overheating: Have you played any graphically intense DirectX 9 games before and seen this problem?

When in the game, decidedly turn off your anti-virus. Many BSODs are caused by anti-virus and custom firewall conflicts with the Windows hardware abstraction layer (HAL).

Go to Start -> Search -> msconfig -> Startup (tab) and disable any non-essential items.

Alternatively, you can go to the General tab, choose Selective Startup, and uncheck Load Startup Items. These are all the programs loading in the background and sitting around in the system tray while your game is on. What you want to do with a game like Skyrim is 1) eliminate possible software conflicts 2) clear up as many resources as possible by disabling programs before you enter the game.

Remember that disabling all startup programs arbitrarily is usually not a good idea. Many startup programs are legitimate, including software to control various hardware like graphics, sound, and even a custom mouse through various programs. Software that usually initiates a BSOD is often likely to be an unsuspecting culprit - your anti-virus, your custom firewall software, and so on. Good versions of these programs will allow you to disable them temporarily while you utilize a resource intensive game. Look for these controls first before trying to uninstall.

In the meantime, I will be downloading my debugging tools to take a look. If someone else out there wants to jump in and take a look, please feel more than welcome.

Thank you for your respond and for downloading the debugging tool.

To answer your questions/advice:

This started just a few days ago, my computer seemed only to display the BSOD after a few minutes in skyrim, I played Assassins creed revelation and mw3 and they run just fine, with a higher graphic setting then in skyrim. As I think back I remember having some problems with my wireless connections and troubleshooting with it. I would loose my connection to the internet and I could not find our router, I started troubleshooting and my screen was turned into lines of wierd colors and my computer would auto restart, but no BSOD.

As for the anti-virus program I dont have one and the firewall is letting the game through. Also I dont see how after weeks of playing Skyrim it would suddenly stop lettind it through.

I dont have many other programs running while I play skyrim other then steam and firefox.

Hi tigeren40 and Welcome to The Forum.

STOP 0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

Usual causes:
Memory corruption, Hardware (memory in particular), Overclocking failure, Installing a faulty or mismatched hardware (especially memory) or a failure after installing it, 3rd party firewall, Device drivers, SCSI/network/BIOS updates needed, Improperly seated cards, Incompatible storage devices, Overclocking, Virus scanner, Backup tool, Bad motherboard, Missing Service Pack.

Your latest dump file lists ntkrnlmp.exe as the probable cause. This is a Windows System file and for it to be the cause of your crash is highly unlikely.
Old and incompatible drivers can and do cause issues with Windows 7, often giving false error codes. Random stop codes can often indicate hardware issues.

As a Priority:

Download and run CPU-Z. Take screenshots**/snips of the Mainboard tab, Memory tab and all the slot #'s under the SPD tab.
Go to Post Reply, click on the Go Advanced button and attach the screenshots**/snips to your post for all the RAM experts to see by using the paper clip you will find on the top toolbar. Do not zip them up.
**If screenshots, please crop.

Download and run the SF Diagnostics Tool. When the reports have been created, zip them up and attach to a post.​
Make sure you run the SF Diagnosts as Administrator!

None of these drivers are possibly related to your bsod, but why run older drivers when there are new!

Drivers that pre-date Windows 7. Update:

RTL85n86.sys Tue Oct 03 03:35:09 2006 Link Removed - Invalid URL

Drivers with Updates:

Rt86win7.sys Thu Feb 26 09:04:22 2009 Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller v7.048 If you're unsure about manually installing drivers then choose the Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program (SID:1469821) option to download.

RTKVHDA.sys Mon Jul 20 12:15:20 2009 Realtek HD Audio R2.66

Last edited:
Thank you very much, also thank you Mike for saying welcome.

I am downloading the drivers as i type and I hope this will eventualy work.

I took pictures of what you asked and here they are:

mainboard.PNGMemory.PNGSPD slot 1.PNGSPD slot 2.PNG

And here are the ZIP file with the reports, hopes this helps, thank you.

View attachment Seven Forums.zip

Hello again.

My computer has gone from only crashing in Skyrim to random crashing while i try to turn it on.
I had to restart my computer like 5-6 times before it stopped and I am scared it will soon go black for ever.....

I have decided to buy new parts when I get the money for them.
I thought about getting a bigger cabinet to house a newer and better mother board, seeing it is from 2008 or something and really sucks, but I dont know what other parts I should get to improve my computer, any tips? Or can I still fix this some other way?

Sorry if I kinda go off topic but I really need your help seeing I dont have insurance on this anymore.

Thank you for your help.

When you say it stopped did it go black by any chance? See here: Acer EG31M motherboard suspends randomly - Tech Support Forum

There may be BIOS revisions that resolve critical problems identified by Acer. You may want to consult with them in this regard.

See here about PCI-E 1.0a compliance errors with PCI-E 2.0 with this board: 8800gt on ACER EG31M MB - AnandTech Forums

Gigabyte also has a board called EG31M. It is decidedly not the same. Do not get these confused. Remember, this board supports LGA-775 processors and not the newer Sandy Bridge line or even LGA-1366 or LGA-1156 socket types. You are also restricted to DDR2 memory. If you are going to upgrade the board, do not waste money on old technology. See if you can isolate and fix the problem first.

It could be something as simple as overheating or a weak power supply unit. Don't start replacing parts unless you have a lot of money to burn on this project. You are going to find out you could have built a brand new system and it would have been a better gaming system. This is not to say you have a poor computer, but to try to prevent you from arbitrarily replacing parts.

You want to get the latest Intel INF Drivers. Link Removed - Invalid URL

It did go black like the 3rd time or something, but it was difference each time it crashed.
1st time I logged into my computer without any problem, but then it just rebooted before I could do anything usefull.

2nd time I got passed the windows logo, but then my screen, mouse and keyboard was disconnected (screen had no signal, mouse laser was off and keyboard lights were off) and i waited thinking it just took longer to restart it because of the problems but then i had to restart it manually.

3rd time I logged in and the screen went black and restarted my computer.

4th time I once again logged in saw I didnt have internet connection, I dont remember if I opend firefox or tried to troubleshoot but then I got the BSOD, with the same sized dump file in my minidump file.

5th time the same happend where my screen didnt get any signal, mouse and keyboard didnt have any lights on, and I thought I my computer had bitten the dust. After making breakfast I tried to turn it on and I didnt have any problem other then a slower startup then usual.

I bought this Acer computer in 2008 and i have had my motherboard fail once before, and my graphic card fail once, but after they fixed that and my computer got outdated, i bought a new power supply and a new graphics card, dont really think I have a weak power supply at 500W. The graphic card is a Redeon HD 5850.
grafikk.PNG

And is it considered replaycing parts if I build a computer with new parts exept the harddisk and RAM cards from the original Acer computer, I would guess all of the problems would go away, and i would get a much better gaming computer seeing I cant even run a 64 bit system on this motherboard.

I cant buy new parts before after Christmas anyway, so if something can fix my computer I will be sure to do it, but im pretty sure I will upgrade it even after it is fixed.

Thanks for further help.

Edit:
I tried to run Skyrim to check if the new updates to the drivers would do anything, I could play for like 5 min and then my screen, keyboard and mouse lost connection, but my computer was still running, had to restart it twice to get it to run properly.

Last edited:
Back