When I clicked on it, I got an error message I have forgotten but it is prevalent on the web.
I tried preview which opened then tried Skype to no avail.
I was advised to install Microsoft visual C++ 2015 redistributable x 64 14.0.24215 which did no good.

I then uninstalled it and reinstalled it and all seems to work.

One MS visual is x32 and the other x64 & they appear to be installed on the same date; my machine is 64 bit

My question is should I uninstall Microsoft visual C++ 2015 redistributable x 64 14.0.24215 ?

Last edited:
That's a good question Peter. I had been running Skype on this machine (now v1607 b14393.969) last year on v1607 but of course earlier build, but still Post-AU W10. Without problems, really other than my webcam is 10 yrs. old and my son hates the resolution; but it works more or less. I was just checking my Visual C++ version and I have v2010 -v2013 x86 v12.0.21005, and v2012 x64 v11.0.61030. My machine is 64bit CPU (Intel Quad-Core) and 64bit W10 Pro. Unless you have other programs that require the newer Visual C++ x64 version, you might not need it. The space taken by mine are all below 21MB; which is really quite small. But, if you are running tight on free disk space on your C: boot drive, you might want to ditch it.:andwhat:

As a precaution, prior to getting rid of it I would definitely consider creating a Backup Image File using one of the 3 following free Backup software programs we've used extensively with W10:
1.) Macrium Reflect
2.) Acronis TrueImage
3.) EASEus TODO

We recommend that you store that image on some external media such as a large capacity flash drive, external hard drive or online Cloud Storage account such as Microsoft OneDrive or GoogleDrive or Dropbox. I use all of these, since if you remove a foundation app such as Visual C++, it's not too unusual for your W10 to stop working and or generate quirky error messages which will drive you crazy! :insanity: Should that happen, and it's happened to me, it's quite easy to Restore your Hard Drive to a working state again by restoring your Backup Image file from your external media source and you're back in business! :up:

It's not always possible to tell what other apps, including native Microsoft apps that might have it's hooks into that new v2015 Visual C++ after installing it. At least not without a whole lot of work.:iee: Sometimes removing it can cause system instability, thus my little lecture on taking precautions to "rollback" your system to a working condition prior to the Visual C++ removal.

Other Users or Admins here might have a different suggestion on whether to discard it or keep it. Just my opinion.

Glad you got your Skype working and Best of luck,
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>> :bighug:

I uninstalled the redistributables installed today both x 32 and x 64 and Skype would not work.
I uninstalled Skype and installed it from the Skype site and now it works.
Due to the amount of chatter on the web this update has caused a problem for some.
Odd that it worked with the redistributables.
I am and have been up to date with Windows.

P.S. Installing from the Skype site also replaced the x 32 redistributable in add/remove so the advice to install it was correct.

Last edited:
yes. What I did is I uninstalled Skype and looked for an older version. The new version is full of bug.

If I have further trouble with it I will also use an earlier version. I do not use it often but need it when I do. I am still checking with no issues and am using the latest version and updates.
Thank you for the help. BTW, I live with Macrium reflect by my side - what a life saver.

That's good Peter: thanks for your follow-up!!:cheerful:
Yes, me too; I now have bought a WD 8TB NAS to keep my Macrium customer image backups on which helps tremendously as I have to keep those for 5 years. What a great combo. I have 13TB of storage on my main computer and my NAS, and more on secondary computers.
Take it easy & hope to hear from you soon.:teeth:

Best,
<<BBJ>>

@BBJ
All mods and members should be as professionally skilled and especially as cordial as you are.
You make coming to this forum a pleasure.

Back
Top Bottom