Windows 7 Sleep Issue

Jonathan Reves

First time posting and I am at my wit's end. I pride myself in my knowledge of hardware and software, but I can not figure this one out.

I recently purchased a Hauppage 2250 TV tuner card and installed it in my computer. At near the same time, I installed a RAID card to bring my two 250gb drives into a raid 0. After this, my windows 7 x64 Ultimate machine started failing to sleep properly. It would turn off the monitor, keyboard, and mouse, but not the tower with the fans and HDDs. Then, it would not be recoverable. I would try to wake, but would have to power cycle TWICE to get it to then "delete restoration data" and boot fresh.

I can read nothing into the Event Log that would tell me. I have turned off hybrid sleep and this did not help. Also if I sleep by way of pushing the button, it will sleep properly. If I just let it wait out (as in after a recording) it will get into this unrecoverable state and miss any other recordings. I have searched and searched and have not found a solution. Anyone here brighter than me that can give me a hand?

I have a 2250 card using Media Center and my system has no problem sleeping, so i don't think it is that.

How old in the system? Does the RAID work normally otherwise?

Have you tried the Powercfg -energy command to see if it will show anything that might give you a clue.

After you run it, copy the resulting .html file to the desktop to read it.

You do have your power button set to put the system to sleep and not shut it down?

Ok I have localized the issue. It is the TV tuner card. If it is in any PCI-E 1X slot, it will cause a failure to sleep on the 2nd and subsequent sleep attempts. Not the first, but starting with the second. Super weird. I reinstalled windows, split my raid and removed the raid card. Finally I removed my tuner card only to have it perform perfectly. Reinstalled the tuner into a different slot and still have the issue. This is ridiculous.

I used Powercfg -energy and did not get anything but a usb hub issue that I removed.

The system is this:
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L mobo
Intel QX6850 Core 2 Quad Extreme 3.33ghz
2x2gb G.Skill Ram @ 1000mhz
MSI R6850 Cyclone/ PE
2 x 250gb, 1TB, and 2TB drives
Blu Ray burner
Rosewill 500W PSU

Sometimes resources will overlap with some of the PCI-e slots. I could only guess, but maybe your specifications on the system would give you some guidance as to which slots may have something in common with another device..

Back