Windows 7 Sleep Issues -- Keyboard & Mouse

Tranceaddict

Hi guys, firstly, sorry if there are millions of threads on this already. I know 7 can be a pain for random sleep issues. I had a quick search and didn't find anything quite like what I'm experiencing though.

Sometimes, when my PC wakes up from sleep, the keyboard and mouse don't work. It just sits there on the password screen with the cursor flashing. It doesn't happen all the time, and indeed only seems to happen after a longer period asleep (usually first thing in the morning but even then not every time, so it's not exactly easy to replicate).

I can connect to it from my laptop via VNC and everything is still running fine. I can then close all my programs and reboot it gracefully rather than having to hit reset. Once it reboots it all works no problem.

If I go into device manager I can see I have three items under Unknown Devices: 'Razer Diamondback' (my mouse), and two instances of 'USB Input Device' which obviously sounds like a keyboard, but I'm at a loss as to why there are two but I suspect this is relevant. If I go into the properties for these devices, device status says: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I've unplugged everything apart from my keyboard and mouse prior to putting the PC to sleep and this still occurs. I've tried uninstalling (including checking 'delete driver software' box) and reinstalling these devices over my VNC connection, but they just come back the same. Plugging a different USB mouse in gives the 'device failed to connect' sound and nothing else. I can plug and unplug my hard drives, iPods, bluetooth dongle, webcam, memory sticks etc no problem.

This only started happening a week ago. The only change I made was to install a new CPU heatsink/fan. It was just a swap from the stock Intel one to a similar Akasa one -- just push-pins, no removing of motherboard, five minute job all good. The only thing that I changed was to enable Q-Fan in the BIOS. When I first noticed the issue, I worked backwards over what I changed and disabled Q-Fan but without it it's incredibly loud. I have since installed Asus AI Suite, which enables CPU fan control from within Windows.

To reiterate; sleep has been working flawlessly for about six months, and I've changed nothing else hardware or software other than what I've mentioned. Please tell me I'm crazy and Q-Fan/AI Suite can't possibly be what's messing it up! I've been over everything else I can think of, but hopefully you guys will have some more suggestions 'cause it's driving me mental.

Relevant specs:

Windows 7 Ult x64 -- updates set to notify only
Asus P5Q with latest BIOS
Q9550 @ 3.4GHz
8GB RAM

All latest drivers for GFX, chipset etc. Let me know if you need any more info. Can dump output from msinfo32 or whatever if needed.

Cheers!

Two possible solutions: Have you tried updating your Intel INF Chipset drivers? You should Google this term, go to the official Intel site, and see if there is a chipset update. This will update the USB controller on the system. Did power management options change? In Power Management try going into the "Advanced setting" tab, going to "USB Settings" and turning "USB Selective Suspend" off. This turns off USB ports when they are not in use. However, if the mouse is designed right it will turn off on its own and you do not need to use this power saving feature, which may be causing you woes.

Back