Windows 7 Sleep/Standby problem

jimmyboy2000

Hi all,

I frequently put my laptop (HP 8540p) into sleep mode and in that respect, it works fine. The problem is in getting out of sleep mode, which I do by pressing the laptop's power button. Sometimes it'll wake up immediately like normal, but more and more lately, it just kills the power and restarts, telling me that it did not shut down properly and prompting me to start in safe mode, etc. This is getting frustrating and can't be good for my laptop's health.

Anyone got any ideas why this is happening or how to figure out?

Thanks.

How do you put your system to sleep?

Are you allowing hibernation?

On some system, you may have an option as to what wakes the computer so I use the spacebar. But once it hibernates, I have to hit the power button and it resumes.

You might go through the Power Options, Advanced Settings to see if anything might be changed to help.

I put it to sleep by selecting that option from the Start Menu. I am allowing hibernation, but I don't see how that's relevant. The only way to wake up my laptop from sleep is by pressing the power button, which I am. I've messed with the Power options and nothing's worked.

After experimenting with this problem a bit more, though, I've noticed that waking up from sleep is perfectly fine if I do so within a few minutes. But if I allow the system to stay asleep longer than that (30+ minutes), as soon as I press that button to wake up my laptop it does a hard shutoff and restarts. I looked at the Event Viewer and all I can see is "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." and "The previous system shutdown at time and date was unexpected." I see no BSOD even though I've unchecked the "Restart automatically" field in system properties. And I don't have a minidump file, either.

I have all updated drivers (no third party), and have even tried installing this hotfix, but nothing is working... I don't know if SP1 will fix this or not, and I'd like to be able to use the sleep mode. I'm kinda stuck right now.

Any help would be appreciated.

What type of timing do you have for when the computer sleeps and then consequently goes into hibernation?

Try not allowing it to hibernate. Not all computers/devices can go into hibernation.

Just in case, can you open an administrative command window (Type cmd in Start Menu search box then CTRL+Shift Enter) and type bcdedit. Use the snipping tool to take a picture and attach using the paperclip. I have no idea this is involved, but I can compare it against mine.

Back
Top Bottom